PDA

View Full Version : New Makita Compact Drill-Impact Driver Combo

John Thompson
09-20-2008, 9:52 AM
I purchased a cordless drill (a drill is one of the most used tools in my shop) several years ago. I won't mention the manufacturer who makes yellow tools but I was highly dis-appointed and pretty much have stayed away from cordless since. I am in the shop daily and a corded drill is not problem (I thought) as I have an electrical outlet about every 5' on each shop wall and down the center.

But... several weeks ago at IWF when I helped assemble over 40 machines at IWF... the president of the company I was helping had a Bosch compact palm drill that I used. I loved it as it secured many bolts and nuts with the aid of 1/4 nut drivers.. etc. I knew I had to have one of those palm drills as I drive a number of screws in my shop and around my home.

I just happended to see a new introduction combo set Makita released at IWF with both a compact drill and impact driver in one set. They weren't sure of the price at the time, but I really liked the feel as I did with the Bosch. Two drills.. two batteries and a charger.

About a week ago I set out to purchase the Bosch which I knew was around $124 depending on where you purchased. A little more for the impact driver. But... but... walking through Home Depot I spotted a large display near the contractors desk of the new Makita LCT 203W 10.8 V 2 pc. cordless Combo Kit I had seen at IWF with a big sign displaying the price. $179....

I have worn these 2 lb. work-horses out in the last week tricking out a new TS and fine tuning around the shop. I don't think they have left my hand except to be re-charged. Fits in the palm and no problem driving 2 1/2" Spax or sheet metal screws. With a 1/4" hex nut driver you can take off rails on a TS in a flash. I couldn't be happier with this combo at this price as I would have payed over $250 for the two Bosch.

May be an introductrory price but I jumped. If you are in need or could use a compact palm drill.. I highly reccomend the quailty I have found (so far) and the price when compared to other similiar compacts.

Sarge..

Clifford Mescher
09-20-2008, 10:28 AM
I seen this at Amazon.http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LCT203W-10-8-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless/dp/B001DNMUZG/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1221920775&sr=1-10

Peter Quinn
09-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Those look great, thanks for the review. Might be next on my list.

Last month I bought a Metabo 7.9V LI drill, I know, very tiny. I was putting drawer slides in narrow kitchen cabinets, got sick of banging my knuckles and wearing out my arms holding a full sized drill. Man, that little metabo has some power too. Perfect tool for hardware installation, small enough to fit in a pocket or pouch, very good finesse. Great accessory package included with right angle kit, drill chuck, quick release chuck and bit set.

It doesn't replace my 14.4V drill and impact for many things, but I won't be picking up one of those bricks to do finesse work again. And while the speed is not high, it will sink a 3" #10 screw no problem if needed.

This new generation of LI pocket drivers (several vendors are offering similar products) is a great addition to the wood working arsenal. I mean do you really need another 18V drill for fine wood working? Wish the makita set was available locally to me when I bought the metabo, but no regrets on that purchase.

John Thompson
09-20-2008, 12:44 PM
That's the one's, Clifford. As usual, I see they are $5 cheaper than others.

Sarge..

Clifford Mescher
09-20-2008, 12:48 PM
That's the one's, Clifford. As usual, I see they are $5 cheaper than others.

Sarge..
John...I posted link mostly to confirm that I had the correct model number. Thank-you. Clifford.

John Thompson
09-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Finesse tool is a good description Peter. That little puppy will get up inside a TS as the larger drills are knuckle busters in tight spots and some spots you just can't get to at all. Other than having to pay for it.. I'm a happy camper.

Well... I did finesse the deal with $25 off. I was looking at the drills on display when a young HD lady sauntered up and ask if I had their new credit card which is not just HD. No... you get $25 off first purchase if you sign up. I did and got $25 off.

I got the actual CC yesterday.. I tore it up without activating. Just send me the bill for my $179 combo kit that cost me $154.... which is only about $30 more than the Bosch single I was going to purchase. :)

Sarge..