PDA

View Full Version : Prototype tobacco pouch

Darren Null
09-20-2008, 8:02 AM
Sewing isn't my strong point, I'll readily admit, but my wife scalded her hand a bit so I was unable to use the usual husbandly tactic of looking pitiful until she gave up and did it (she's fine, by the way- they do an awesome burn spray here in Spain). Hence the dodgy needlework and the occasional bloody fingerprint.

Simple and relatively cheap, but a bit labour-intensive. I sewed the paper holder manually, and it turned into a bit of a dog's breakfast, in addition to leaving me with multiple injuries. So for the reinforcing bit on the closing tab I drilled a series of holes with a dremel; which was MUCH easier.

It's a prototype, so there's a couple of bits that need addressing:
1) The paper-holder needs to be at least 0.5cm deeper, and probably a little wider.
2) I need to sew the reinforcing tab from the other side next time. Doh! If only I could remember which side I started from this time...
3) I pulled the side-holding leather strip too tightly, hence the twisty look down one side.

The CDR file:
1) All the green bits were to burn sewing holes originally, but it just set light to the leather. You could leave them in for reference, or just use a marker line.
2) The green and red need to be swapped...on my machine, red burns before green, so the bits have dropped out before the marker dots get burned.
3) The little round bits are reinforcements for the tab-holder, but a) they're not really necessary and b) I lost them before I plucked up the courage to start sewing.

George M. Perzel
09-20-2008, 7:47 PM
Hi Darren;
Clever idea-but to be honest, not a real big item here in the US as pipe smoking has just about totally disappeared- mainly due to new laws, exorbitant taxes, and unbelievable bitching and moaning from the general public. I smoked a pipe for about 25 years and really enjoyed the whole process-not just the pleasant aroma of burley and bright. It really became a PITA when smoking was bannd in the workplace, particuliarly my office. It;s really crazy now as you can be arrested in NY for smoking in a state park!
Perhaps the pouch may be useful for other, non-tobacco products, but then that's another thread.........................
Watch out!- you gum chewers are next!!!!!!! Damn crazy world!
An old Half& Half smoker
George
LaserArts

Darren Null
09-21-2008, 12:48 AM
True enough. This is a cigarette-rolling tobacco pouch. A pipe tobacco one would be easier because you could simply leave out the bit to hold the papers. Rollups are quite prevalent in the UK due to the exorbitant tax rates on tobacco...it's cheaper.

Oddly enough, despite tobacco being as cheap as chips here (state-controlled pricing...I can't think of many things a dictatorship is good for, but that's one of them) many of the ex-pats from the UK still smoke rollups.

A downward trend in the UK since smoking was banned in public places. It was banned here too, sort-of, but everybody ignored the ban so they gave up.

Bill Cunningham
09-21-2008, 11:01 PM
I know in Canada, that if you go int a store, and ask for 'rolling papers' they automatically assume your a pot smoker! My father, and my wifes father ONLY smoked hand rolled cigarettes.. My father died at 53, hers at 65..