PDA

View Full Version : Radon Testing

John Terefenko
09-19-2008, 11:50 PM
I have been reading more and more cases of Radon becoming a problem in homes. I have never done a Radon test so I am asking questions. Should I call pros or can I do this myself or try first myself and then call pros???? If I do myself what kits are good for this and where can I get them??? Where do I set the test up??? Do I test the upstairs being I live in a ranch house or do I test the basement or do I test both??? My basement is humid but no water other than a sump pump. The sump pit is open, should I close this off and if so how???? I have a workshop down there so I do spend accumulated time down there. If anyone has done this can you give some pointers as to what you found, how you found it and what you did about it???? Thanks for the replys in advance.

Bob Rufener
09-20-2008, 7:25 AM
I haven't done a test for a long time so I can't answer all of your questions. This definitely is a test you can do yourself. You'll want to put the test kit in the basement. The source of radon is from the ground beneath your home and enters your home through any cracks or gaps in your concrete floor. You can buy test kits off the internet. Do a Google search for radon test kit and you should find a lot of sources and a lot of information. Instructions as to how to perform the test will be provided. If memory serves me correctly, you place the test kit at a location in your basement and remove a cover. Leave it exposed and undisturbed for the length of time noted in the directions. Cover the kit and send it to the test lab for analysis and that's about all you do. Kits may be available in local or nearby hardware stores. I don't believe they are very expensive.

Lee Schierer
09-20-2008, 8:04 AM
You will want to shut down any basement ventilation or windows during the test.

Matt Ocel
09-20-2008, 8:46 AM
Ah -
Radon!
The "R" word.
Does it? or Doesn't it pose a problem?
I believe it doesn't, But what do I know.

John -
I used to work as a new home construction field manager and some of the new Homeowners would hire inspections done, that included Radon tests.

I talked with some of these radon testers, and they would tell me "Guaranteed, doing a radon test on a new home, it will fail 100% of the time. Crack a couple windows during the test, and we should be alright."

Now thats in Minnesota where we are said to have high levels of Radon.
The tester also said, over time as the soils start to stablize you should be alright.

With that said, The tests can be very sensitive, depending on different factors, ie windows open, sump cover off(which is the said to be one of the areas that the highest levels of radon will enter your home), are doors being open, etc.

Another factor involved is, how good of a reading are you going to get from the tests out there? As with most things, you get what you pay for.

F.Y.I. - For about a year now "All" new homes built in the state of Minnesota are required to have at least a "Passive" radon vent installed that has the capacity to be converted to a power vent.

I say I have a better chance at winning the lottery than having Radon effect my life. But thats just MHO.

John Terefenko
09-20-2008, 9:58 AM
I know or have heard it is one of those contrversy topics but the things that brought it up more so now is a friend of mine just was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and he has never smoked or does he live with anyone who does. I went on line to do some research and one of the contributing factors I see mentioned is Radon or other ground leaching stuff. I know it maybe a stretch but thought it could not hurt to ask these questions and maybe have the test done. Thanks for the replys.

Pat Germain
09-21-2008, 10:18 AM
Even if you don't believe radon poses a health risk, someone who wants to buy your house someday might. Therefore, I think it's a good idea to test for radon now. Shoot, I should do the same thing. It's pretty common in Colorado.

Once you complete the test, another controversey arises; how much is too much? You can spend thousands of dollars on treating your house for radon. Or you can do nothing. What's actually necessary depends on who you ask.

Most radon present in a home creates no more risk than any other ambient environment. Very high levels of radon would concern me, and I don't typically worry about such things.

Connections between radon and lung cancer are aslo controversial. It's one of those things where nobody has a good idea what causes lung cancer in otherwise healthy, non-smokers. Radon is a good candidate, but as far as I know, there is no clinical proof.