PDA

View Full Version : Deciding between compressors

Porter Bassett
09-19-2008, 11:40 PM
I don't have any compressor, and I need to get one.

Right now, I'm trying to choose between the highly recommended Makita MAC700 Hotdog (http://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC700-Hotdog-Horsepower-Compressor/dp/B0001Q2VK0) and what looks like the HBT equivalent (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=55637).

Reasons, as I see them, to get the Makita:

This specific model comes highly recommended, so I'd be more confident in purchasing it
It has slightly better CFM and max pressure

Reasons to get the HFT:

I've heard generally good things about HFT compressors
It's only half the price. (But then, the cost for neither one of them is really all that much, so maybe this isn't as big a deal as it seems.)

Which one would you recommend, and why?

Justin Leiwig
09-20-2008, 7:45 AM
from the looks of things the makita is oiled and the harbor freight is oilless. I always recommend oiled compressors. They are quieter, last a lot longer and don't get as hot as quickly. Heat produces condensation, which can kill a finish without an air dryer in the line.

Shawn Walker
09-20-2008, 10:52 AM
What Justin said.

Porter Bassett
09-20-2008, 10:57 AM
I'm pretty sure the HFT one is an oiled compressor as well.

The HFT one has twin tanks. What is the purpose of this?

Paul Girouard
09-20-2008, 11:15 AM
#1: I don't have any compressor, and I need to get one.

#2: Which one would you recommend, and why?

#1: What do you expect to use the compressor for? If you just "need one" I guess either would fill the need , you'd have a compressor. Whether it will do what you intend it to , who knows.

One poster , Justin IIRC , mentioned finish or water in the compressor being a factor , that compressor to small to use for most finishing. Although I'm sure some one some where has used it for such.

#2: Hard to say without knowing what the end use will be.

Emglo makes a nice line of compressors, a twin tank would be nice , more air storage = less run time.

So fill in the what and why , or by the HF one it may last a life time if you seldom use it , and you would then not "need" a compressor , you'd have a cheap one , with little storage capacity and low CFM output. But the 'need' would be filled. I guess.

Burt Alcantara
09-20-2008, 7:34 PM
I've got the MAC2400. Initially, I bought it to blow out dust in my hollow form turnings. Then I bought an air brush and use it for that. Then I bought a brad nailer and can't live without that one. Followed by an impact hammer and sander, both of which require way more cfm than I can deliver.

Recently, I bought a vacuum pump for my lathe. I'll use it also for vacuum veneering. Seems like the list for uses keeps growing.

It's great to give yourself an air shower when you finish up from the shop. For the price I find it to be a viable tool in my shop. Sometimes, I think about a big IR 60 gal 10+cfm but I'd probably fill up the tank twice a year.

If you get the Makita, make sure you attach the air filter before running the compressor. There's nothing in the manual that says to do this. Not an obvious thing for a first time compressor user.

Compressors are kwel!

Burt

Brandon Shew
09-20-2008, 9:41 PM
There is no choice to consider. Get the Makita and be done with it. I have the MAC700 and it works great. It is an oiled compressor so you can expect that it will last for a long time. It is relatively quiet as far as compresors go and it delivers plenty of power for my finish nailers.