PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Chip Bowl

Ryan Lewis
09-19-2008, 11:25 PM
I cedar chip bowl that I made out of a tree that fell in my neighbors yard. Any criticism is welcomed! Thanks Kim!!

Bernie Weishapl
09-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Kim that is a good looking bowl. How big and what did you finish it with? Looks like you didn't have any problems with cracking.

Bob Hallowell
09-20-2008, 7:24 AM
No criticism here, looks great.

Bob

Ryan Lewis
09-20-2008, 8:09 AM
The Bowl is 9 3/8 X 2 3/8. I finished it with velvet oil. Just to clarify Kim is my father in law who started me turning bowls. So every time I finish a bowl like this I have to say thanks!
Ryan Lewis

Steve Schlumpf
09-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Ryan - great looking bowl! Amazing color! Nice form, finish and size! The color reminds me of the aromatic cedar that I use to find in Alabama. Was wondering if you knew what kind of cedar - cause the color is just great!

robert hainstock
09-20-2008, 10:18 AM
Beautiful color, nice form and finish. It gets an A+ in my book. :):)
Bob

Paul Girouard
09-20-2008, 10:54 AM
#1: Any criticism is welcomed!

#2: Thanks Kim!!

#1: Is that snot on the dryer in front of the bowl in photo #2 / 009 ?

Remember you asked for it:D

#2: I'm glad you explained that part about who Kim was, that was confusing as first posted.

The bowl looks good:cool:. It appears to be a aromatic Cedar, by the looks of it, the bright red color and grain pattern. If that true or a good guess , has that been a factor with chip flavor? Cedar chips anyone? :D

Nice job Kim :D

Toney Robertson
09-20-2008, 8:10 PM
Nice looking bowl.

That is one nice looking piece of cedar.

Did you have any problems with cracking? A friend of mine gave me some cedar and many said that it would crack but so far so good and it has not been a problem for me.

Good job.

Toney

Chuck Jones
09-20-2008, 8:58 PM
... I couldn't wait to see a bowl made from cedar chips!:)

Nice job and beautiful piece of wood.

My bet is your chips would taste like cedar if left in the bowl very long; but if they're good chips they won't last long enough to absorb much of it.

I've made several bowls from a very large aromatic red cedar that died in a very old churchyard/graveyard near my place. I've enjoyed giving them to some of the older neighbors whose connections with the site go way back. I have had to deal with some cracks, but they usually occur in the blank before I get around to turning it. I haven't found it much worse than other woods. It probably isn't so bad since the tree was dead when it was taken down.

Ryan Lewis
09-21-2008, 11:47 AM
I believe the wood is aromatic cedar and after careful review of the evidence I have determined that the "snot" on the dryer is.. Well I have no idea what that was but I was so excited about posting the bowl on here that I totally missed it in the picture. I should really set up a place to take pictures of my bowls but instead I devote that time to turning.:D
The bowl is sealed and no longer has a smell. I used velvet oil to seal it and for the price and ease of use I really like it.
THanks

#1: Is that snot on the dryer in front of the bowl in photo #2 / 009 ?

Remember you asked for it:D

#2: I'm glad you explained that part about who Kim was, that was confusing as first posted.

The bowl looks good:cool:. It appears to be a aromatic Cedar, by the looks of it, the bright red color and grain pattern. If that true or a good guess , has that been a factor with chip flavor? Cedar chips anyone? :D

Nice job Kim :D

Kim Ford
09-22-2008, 1:02 PM
Ryan, Great Job!!!!!

Beautiful bowl and beautiful finish. Keep up the good work.

Kim

Terry Neumann
09-24-2008, 5:38 PM
Beautiful bowl! I have a few questions as I believe I have access to some of this cedar.
Was the wood wet or dry when you turned it?

Did you turn it out all at once or did you rough it out and let it season and for how long before you did the final cutting and finishing?

I'm new to this and want to start turning in the Spring when I get my lathe restored and set up.

Or... is this too difficult a wood for a beginner?

Terry