PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder Bowl and Segmented Pen **PICS**

Ken Salisbury
05-12-2004, 8:32 AM
After getting my Jet 1642V repaired last Friday I decided to work on the box elder blank my good buddy Dominic Greco sent me some time ago. The bowl is 7 ½" dia and 4" tall. Finish is Minwax Antique Oil and Minwax Finishing Wax.

Segmented pen is 32 pieces of congola alves, bloodwood, walnut, rosewood and Phillipine Ebony. Finish was C/A followed by acrylic polish, Crystal Coat and PPP Wax Stick.

Jim Becker
05-12-2004, 9:06 AM
Excellent, Ken! I bet it felt good turning that bowl given the massive quantities of pens you've been "turning" out! Nice job!

Tyler Howell
05-12-2004, 9:14 AM
The Spin Doctor scores again.:cool:

Ken Salisbury
05-12-2004, 9:37 AM
Excellent, Ken! I bet it felt good turning that bowl given the massive quantities of pens you've been "turning" out! Nice job!
You bet it did Jim ! !

It is a Cardinal Sin to have a $1600 lathe sitting idle for so long. I have just been so busy with FPP I have not had the time for other things, especially flat work stuff. I might be losing my touch with that aspect. I did however also make a wall rack to hold all my turning tools with a shelf below to hold lathe accessories this past weekend. I guess that classifies as "flat stuff".

Dominic Greco
05-12-2004, 1:20 PM
Ken,
I really like the look of this bowl (I also like the box you posted above). You did the wood proud!

I'm really glad to hear that the 1642 is up and running again! Did the technician give you any idea what the problem was? (I've been out of the loop for a while)

Lloyd Frisbee
05-12-2004, 1:46 PM
Hey Ken,
Got any pics of the tool rack? I need to make one. I need ideas.

Jason Roehl
05-12-2004, 4:30 PM
I'm really glad to hear that the 1642 is up and running again! Did the technician give you any idea what the problem was? (I've been out of the loop for a while)Dom, I believe he said it was simply that a wire had come loose somewhere within the control box.

Ken, I like the box elder bowl! The pen looks "ok," too. :D

Dominic Greco
05-13-2004, 7:39 AM
Hey Ken,

Lloyd,
Check out this rack I built several months ago. So far it's served me very well.

Dominic Greco
05-13-2004, 7:41 AM
Dom, I believe he said it was simply that a wire had come loose somewhere within the control box.

Ken, I like the box elder bowl! The pen looks "ok," too. :D

Thanks for the heads up about the wire.

And BTW, thats my quote you're stealing there bucko :D

Glenn Hodges
05-13-2004, 11:40 AM
I like that bowl Ken...beautiful color.

Ken Salisbury
05-14-2004, 6:07 AM
Hey Ken,
Lloyd - Here is a pic of mine