PDA

View Full Version : A little shop time

Lee Chadwick
09-19-2008, 6:41 PM
Most of you probably dont know who I am or what I do, but my main deal is I make custom duck, goose and turkey calls. My shop was supplied by my wife and she foolishly thought I would use those tools to build her some furniture:D Well, I got tired of looking at the poor excuse of a mantle that came with the house and decided that my wife was right after all:p The mantle is made of oak with East India rosewood accents for the screw covers. I will start on a wildlife scene to be carved out of walnut for the surround next week

Jim Becker
09-19-2008, 8:42 PM
...and decided that my wife was right after all.

I sure hope that took you all of about three seconds...short enough time that your face didn't even register the "wrong look"... ;)

Very nice job on the mantle, Lee!

Lee Chadwick
09-20-2008, 9:19 AM
Thanks Jim. Fortunately for me she has a great sense of humor. She married me after all

John Keeton
09-20-2008, 9:35 AM
Lee, unfortunately, you have made a grave error! To this point, your wife knew you "should" be working on house projects. Now, she knows you "can." Your life as you formerly enjoyed it - is over! I suggest you give up the custom call idea, you will no longer have time for it.

Very nice job - and a much improved look. Is the wildlife scene going on the horizontal panel? Might be neat to do individual pieces applied on the oak. It would give it dimension and eliminate shrinkage issues on what appears to be plywood substrate. The heat from the fireplace may do funny things to a large piece of walnut that is attached to the plywood.

I think I remember you posting previously for ideas on the wildlife. I have a number of wildlife images, pen and ink, etc., that may give you some ideas. If you are interested I can email them to you. My upload speed is not great, but I can break it down into separate emailings. Most of the images are deer, turkey, and elk. Let me know.

Lee Chadwick
09-20-2008, 3:48 PM
John,
I would appreciate anything you send me. The fireplace never gets used, so it was safe to use the oak ply for the surround. The scene itself will be carved into a piece of walnut that will be attached to the surround. Looking at doing a relief carving scene of some kind.
my email is misfiregamecalls@bellsouth.net
Thank you

John Keeton
09-21-2008, 7:29 AM
Lee, I will send some images by email. It wasn't the oak plywood on the surround that concerned me. It should remain fairly stable. But if you adhere solid wood to it in the form of a scene, with or without the heat from the fireplace, the movement could create problems. With heat, it could be dramatic. I would give some thought to that issue - perhaps provided for some movement in the manner in which you mount the scene - would hate to see a big crack right down the middle of your carving!!

Lee Chadwick
09-21-2008, 6:07 PM
Ahhhh, I see what you mean. I will keep that in mind when it comes time to secure it to the surround. Thanks alot, and I did get your emails, thank you VERY much for those

Jeffrey Makiel
09-22-2008, 8:02 AM
I see your wife's point. That's a nice upgrade to the ol' fireplace, and likely the focal point within the room now.

I suspect more furniture project suggestions will be in your future, with the occasional caller thrown in every now and then. :)

-Jeff :)

Lee Chadwick
09-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Actually, I need to get back to making calls for a few days, I am behind on a few custom orders I need to get sent out. But, I am also getting ready to build a wet bard for my wife ( guess I drove her to drink:D). Figuring on the top out of maple with ebony inlay and a cherry cabinet

John Thompson
09-24-2008, 10:35 PM
Nice job Lee. My BIL has a fireplace very similar that needs something like that to dress it up as it came with about the poorest excuse of a mantel as a contractor could possibly find.

Looks good...

Sarge..

Lee Chadwick
09-30-2008, 3:27 PM
Thanks John