PDA

View Full Version : Fluted Work

Frank Kobilsek
09-19-2008, 5:17 PM
Slow day in the office and I finally figured out how to re-size pictures.

Back in January I went to John C. Campbell to study with Al Stirt. About a year ago I posted pictures of fluted work I wasn't really happy with, Al set me on course to do a little better work. The flutes are handcarved and I find it enjoyable to do although still a bit time consuming.

The Cherry Bowl is apporximately 14" diameter and has 96 flutes

The larger Walnut is about 11" with 56 much deeper flutes

The small Walnut is only 3.75" with 24 flutes.

Now that I cracked the code on photo sizing I'll post more often. As some of you know I post pictures in bursts about 3 times per year.

Frank

Steve Schlumpf
09-19-2008, 5:22 PM
Frank - that is some beautiful work! As long as you are experimenting with resizing of photos - next time please try 800x600 pixels as these are great looking bowls but at the size of the photos posted it is hard to see any detail. Seriously - these are some beautiful bowls!

Bernie Weishapl
09-19-2008, 6:03 PM
Those are beautiful Frank. I would bet they are time consuming. Well done.

Mike Vickery
09-19-2008, 7:45 PM
Frank all of those look outstanding, great work.

Toney Robertson
09-19-2008, 8:40 PM
Frank,

Beautiful work.

Toney

Jim Becker
09-19-2008, 8:45 PM
Wonderful work, Frank. Great job on that fluting!

Terry Quiram
09-19-2008, 9:13 PM
Frank, real beauties. Did you have them at the meeting Monday? Sorry I missed it.

Terry

Bob Hallowell
09-19-2008, 9:22 PM
Frank those are all real stunners. I love them all!

Bob

Jim Ketron
09-19-2008, 9:23 PM
Beautiful work Frank!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-19-2008, 9:33 PM
Frank,

Those are extremely beautiful! Turning and carving. You have, indeed, become an artist!

David Walser
09-20-2008, 12:05 AM
Frank,

That's stunning work. I'm not sure which one I like the most.

How do you layout the flutes? I think I'd try to use the lathe and an indexing ring, but you said it was hand carved. Any hints would be nice. Long explanations (with photos) would be nicer, still.

mreza Salav
09-20-2008, 12:53 AM
They all look very nice!!
My first guess was doing it with a router but after I read they are hand carved, well that's even more impressive.

Keith Burns
09-20-2008, 9:51 PM
Very well done Frank, I like them all !

Paul Engle
09-21-2008, 1:40 PM
Nice work Frank, with out a Rose engine or some sort of Ornamental turning attachment what you've done is a lot of work, my guess is tedious just would not cover it !!!! You have given me an idea for my OT though , thanks for posting...I have a small Myrtle bowl on the lathe now and will see if I can get my OT to do what you have done. As my hands would never let me get more than one flute a month done!!!!:D

Clara Koss
09-21-2008, 2:28 PM
gosh the three are beautifull!!!! my favorite is the little one though....it is very unusual.... so glad i got to see your work...can't wait for the next post...;)

Curt Fuller
09-21-2008, 2:31 PM
Frank, all three bowls are incredible. By 'carved' do you mean carved with a gouge or carved with some type of rotary tool?

Ben Gastfriend
09-21-2008, 3:09 PM
These are extremely nice. And they're done all by hand!? That is amazing.

earl timmons
09-21-2008, 7:52 PM
Frank, I saw the pictures first and I thought beautiful bowls. Then I read the post and I saw hand carved. You are a patient and talented man. Excellent well done.

Jerry Rhoads
09-21-2008, 10:50 PM
Sweet
Very nice work Frank

Jerry

Bill Huber
09-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Frank those are just outright beautiful.

That first one is a real beauty.

I just don't see how in the world you can do that.

Frank Kobilsek
09-22-2008, 8:58 AM
Thank You all for the nice comments

I do use a recipricating carver so purists probably would argue my handcarved statement.

I do not use an on-lathe indexing system. The engineers at work made me index sheets. Just a piece of paper with the pizza slices drawn out. I center the bowl on the sheet and mark the divisions. Then back to the lathe were I use the lathe to draw the lines from top to bottom. Then the piece is clamped in a fixture for carving. Carving takes between a couple hours and 20 hours. I made a 8" bowl from Crabapple that I thought would kill my carver or my wrist before it was finished.

Again thanks for the nice comments.

Frank

Bill Huber
09-22-2008, 9:08 AM
Thank You all for the nice comments

I do use a recipricating carver so purists probably would argue my handcarved statement.

Frank

So in looking on the net at the reciprocating carvers it looks like a really small jackhammer, is that correct?

So I guess I can never say anything I build is hand made, I use a table saw.

I really don't care what you used they are still just awesome.

Pete Jordan
09-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Darn you Frank!

I have enough to do without having to learn something new.

This work is just outstanding!

Frank Kobilsek
09-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Yes Bill its like a mini jack hammer. I use the Ryobi Detail carver. Its a tool Ryobi discontinued several years ago. I pick them up at garage sales or online. I have three now. In long sessions the carver get too hot to handle so I have to switch.

Here is a picture of the big cherry bowl in the carving fixture.

Frank

Gary Herrmann
09-22-2008, 1:05 PM
Beautiful work, Frank. My wife carves the neander way. I'll have to ask her if she wants to try this.