PDA

View Full Version : The market's nuttyness

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-19-2008, 4:36 PM
I had and still have a very substantial position in CB.

It has treated me exceptionally well. It seemed that every single money fund manager fled to quality and shoved the value of that stock up up up up.

Most the year it was dithering between $46 - 48 and in just a couple days of panicked purchasing it was driven up to Well it opened today at $66 and closed at $62

Scott Donley
09-19-2008, 6:00 PM
And yet 3 days ago it closed down 2.75 :confused: Glad you are doing well, how are your other choices doing ? If they have done as well please PM me with the names, I could use the help :D

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-19-2008, 6:29 PM
Chubb (CB)
American Axle & Manufacturing Holdings Inc. (AXL)
Arch Coal Inc. (ACI)
Beckman Coulter (BEC)
Juniper Networks inc. (JNPR)
Ceradyne Inc. (CRDN)
Curtiss-Wright Corp., (CW)
ITT Corp. (ITT)
Netflix Inc. (NFLX)
Shares of Olin Corp., (OLN)
Rio Tinto Ltd. (RTP)
And always do your homework.
If you don't know why you are buying a stock then don't buy it.
Read Ben Graham's little book "The Intelligent Investor" to learn value investment. It's the single best work ever produced.

Expect NFLX to take a hit after Comcast unveils it's planed offering a Metered Service.

Ben Rafael
09-19-2008, 6:53 PM
I've been buying buggy whips. When we run out of oil I'll make a killing.:D

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-19-2008, 7:12 PM
I've been buying buggy whips. When we run out of oil I'll make a killing.:D

As long as there's horses.
If we run out of horses ~ ~ ~ ~

Sean Troy
09-19-2008, 8:00 PM
As long as there's horses.
If we run out of horses ~ ~ ~ ~
UMMMMMMMmmmmmmm, horse burgers :)

Scott Donley
09-20-2008, 3:44 PM
Chubb (CB)
American Axle & Manufacturing Holdings Inc. (AXL)
Arch Coal Inc. (ACI)
Beckman Coulter (BEC)
Juniper Networks inc. (JNPR)
Ceradyne Inc. (CRDN)
Curtiss-Wright Corp., (CW)
ITT Corp. (ITT)
Netflix Inc. (NFLX)
Shares of Olin Corp., (OLN)
Rio Tinto Ltd. (RTP)
And always do your homework.
Thanks Cliff, the above would make an interesting portfolio for sure, But, if one share of each was purchased at the first of the year it would still be down, even including the nice bump RTP took on Friday :( Yes, I know, the right combination of all the above could make it a plus or minus for the year, it is just figuring out that combination that is my problem :confused: Also, no horses in my future, not with current grain prices :D

John Shuk
09-20-2008, 5:05 PM
Just pray that credit card debt doesn't start with record write offs. Citi and a bunch of others will be in very big trouble.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-20-2008, 8:20 PM
Thanks Cliff, the above would make an interesting portfolio for sure,

lol but lasy, ya gotta know why you are buyin' it.

I have to have a very granular understanding of the business the market and the supply chain. With that I can use the numbers to contemplate which of the industry or sector players will possibly be the stroingsr. But, without the granular familiarity with the business I can't even know if I want to be in that sector.

And then there is the question of whether one is interested in trading ir investing.
Trading can be a bit gut wrenching. The real experts have hundreds of thousands of dollars of data feeds and software and a staff of braniacks any of whom will be more knowledgable than I.
And they still lose money.

I rather fancy whale watching.