PDA

View Full Version : Bench Dog Holes -- Drilling Question

Joe Vincent
09-19-2008, 2:04 PM
There've been a couple of good recent discussions here about bench dog hole placement. I'd appreciate hearing recommendations on the best ways (types of bits, tips, etc.) to drill the holes while minimizing chipping and tearout on the top of the bench.

Thanks

Jim Becker
09-19-2008, 2:15 PM
I drilled mine with a brand new Irwin 3/4" spade bit that had the little "wings" for a razor sharp entry edge. (I actually had to ease them afterward) A backer board clamped to the bottom insures a clean exit, too.

Dave Anderson NH
09-19-2008, 3:10 PM
I haven't drilled mine yet since I haven't even laminated the top up.:D However, I bit the bullet and bought one of the really nice Colt HSS brad point bits from Woodcraft specifically for this task. It was about $16 if I remember correctly. I plan to use a home made drilling fixture to insure perpendicularity.

Burt Alcantara
09-19-2008, 3:48 PM
Jim,
How long did the spade bit last. I'm beginning to realize I need a few in my bench top as well. An old issue of Pop Wood said to make sure you use a non-cordless drill because of torque. I believe he used a twist bit but not sure.

What prevents a bench dog/peg from dropping through the hole?

Burt

Jim Becker
09-19-2008, 4:09 PM
Burt, that bit easily cut all the holes in my bench...and many of them twice because I screwed up with the locations. (There actually is a thread about that here at SMC) This is three rows of probably, oh...more than a dozen holes...in 2+" thick maple. I've used that bit many times since, too.

Tom Veatch
09-19-2008, 5:03 PM
A couple of previous threads on the subject:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?referrerid=5960&t=65616

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57406

And I seem to recall a thread that had a link to a video demonstration of using a plunge router for the holes, but didn't immediately spot the link in either of those threads.

Joe Vincent
09-19-2008, 6:19 PM
Thanks for the info and links. I thought about using a 3/4" spiral upcut bit in a router but those seem to be a little pricey. I'll probably end up using a spade or brad point drill bit. And I'll probably set up some sort of jig to keep the bit square to the bench and also to locate the holes.

Randy Klein
09-19-2008, 6:40 PM
I haven't drilled mine yet since I haven't even laminated the top up.:D However, I bit the bullet and bought one of the really nice Colt HSS brad point bits from Woodcraft specifically for this task. It was about $16 if I remember correctly. I plan to use a home made drilling fixture to insure perpendicularity.

That's exactly what I did. Worked out well.

Jerry Thompson
09-19-2008, 7:39 PM
Here is what I used and it worked great.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2406&cookietest=1

John Sanford
09-19-2008, 8:31 PM
What you don't want to use is one of the "auger" type bits with a cordless, or even corded drill, unless you're benchtop is a soft wood. I tried using one with my 3/8" Milwaukee corded drill, and once the screw grabbed and started drawing the bit in, the drill didn't have nearly enough oomph to turn it in the hard maple. Maybe if I'd had a 1/2" or 3/4" drill the story woulda been different, but keeping one of them big honkers plumb ain't easy, not to mention the joy when it catches and attempts to do violence to the operator!

The best way to drill will be to use a drill press. Yes, its very cumbersome, but a DP will allow you to keep a fixed rpm, and have consistently plumb holes, something that no other method save using a plunge router will make easy. I used one of the "drill guides", and its a pain in the keester to clamp it down, etc. I'm sure if someone put a bunch of 3' long 3/4" dowels through all my dog holes, they'd look like a bunch of drunken sailors mustering on a Sunday morning, rather than like a rank of freshly minted Marines graduating from boot camp.

Bill Moser
09-19-2008, 8:41 PM
Here's a perfect excuse to buy and use a brace. I used a timberframing-style boring machine to drill the holes in my benchtop, but a 10 or 12"brace would work just as well. Lots of torque. Amazing how hot your ship auger bit will get when boring into hard maple -- beeswax on the tip helps a lot....

Doug Shepard
09-19-2008, 8:46 PM
LV has a 3/4" Brad point bit 6" long that works great. I thought I might dull it badly going through my BB ply on edge & flat lamination with epoxy to do both the laminations and the finish. But it took a licking and kept on ticking.

Dave Lehnert
09-19-2008, 10:39 PM
I used a drill guide like the one below available from Sears for $30.
At first I used a Freud Forstner type bit. If you know anything about Freud their bits and saw blade holes are a tight fit. My dogs would fit but too tight for my liking. I used a spade bit to clean out the holes. In my next bench I will use a spade bit to drill the holes the first time.

http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00967173000?qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

harry strasil
09-19-2008, 11:46 PM
FWIW, A cheap import bench drill press, open the top and slide the working part down the column, turn it around to the back, insert bit, clamp it down to top with a 2x4 batten across the base and clamped to the table edges with quick clamps and drill away. no grunting, lots of control and selectible speed.

glenn bradley
09-20-2008, 12:52 AM
I used a shop-made guide and a brad point bit here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=65523&d=1180501803). Worked well but what a workout for me and the drill. I used the Irwin Jim describes for another set but it was a little wild and wooley. Probably due to my corded drill being a bit undersized for the job. Still, all came out well except that one hole I forgot to move the backer board for . . . what a blowout.

I now have an Onsrud 3/4" upcut router bit and plan to do the rest with a plunge router. The last inch will have to be drilled and I will probably use the Irwin for that.

Victor Stearns
09-20-2008, 12:12 PM
Here is a link to the Popular Woodworking video that uses the plunge router. I plan on do mine with this method.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/video/

Victor