PDA

View Full Version : DNA process during winter months

Dana Berenson
09-19-2008, 11:20 AM
So it's starting to get a little chilly up her in New England and I have two questions about the cold weather.

Any concerns letting logs sealed with Anchorseal stay out in freezing temps?

How do rough turned bowls hold up in freezing temps after DNA soaking, during the drying time?

I've got limited space to store wood and the LOML would NOT be happy if I made the basement smell like denatured alcholol.

Thanks!

Steve Schlumpf
09-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Dana - I spend the summer months gathering wood, rough turning bowls and drying them so I don't have to go out into the cold to cut any blanks during the winter. I air out the DNA 'roughed turned' blanks in my garage for a few days to get rid of that strong DNA smell (which I am REALLY starting to like) and then move the rough outs into the shop (basement) to continue drying.

I haven't heard of any problems of storing your blanks in freezing weather and would have to think you would get a little freeze-dried effect which would help eliminate moisture.

Bernie Weishapl
09-19-2008, 6:10 PM
I soak my bowls in DNA and had left a couple in the freezing cold. When I brought them into the garage to get ready to re-turn they cracked and split on me. The garage was only about 50 degrees so it wasn't real hot. I now let them flash dry for about 20 minutes after removing fromt he alcohol, wrap them in brown grocery sack, cut a hole in the bowl part and put them in the basement to dry. My wife hasn't complained about alcohol smell.

Dennis Peacock
09-19-2008, 6:18 PM
Dana,

If you are going to keep log sections (anchorsealed) through the winter? I'd recommend that you get them up off the ground to help keep the wood "good" longer.

I can't answer your DNA question because my shop usually stays well above the freezing point since I have heat inside my shop. But other than that, I've never had any real issues with the DNA process, no matter what season it is. :)

Jim Becker
09-19-2008, 8:47 PM
Dana, if you have the "regular" Anchorseal, you need to keep "it" (what's in the container" from freezing, but what's on the log already should be fine. I agree with Dennis to keep things off the ground, however.

'Can't help you with the DNA question...I have never used it.

Cyril Griesbach
09-20-2008, 10:16 AM
Jim is correct on the anchorseal.