PDA

View Full Version : Going Out of Business - ouch!

Dave Simms
09-19-2008, 11:10 AM
We just listed our Laser Engraver in the Sawmill Creek Classified Section. I should have taken the advice that I read here many years ago that you better have a real good marketing plan before you go out and shell out the big bucks required to start a Lasering Venture. Someone had written a great Post saying was that success was easier if you already had an existing business that you were just adding new products to, hence you already had the exposure. I should have taken that more to heart.

Looking back on it, the biggest mistake I made (other than the above) is not fully understanding the competition from Imports (..stupid me). One example: I spent a few month researching and creating incredible boxes for the Princeton University, and Duke University Gift Shops. These 2 universities have incredible "Coat of Arms" that engrave beautifully on Gold Foil on my Linden Wood Boxes. When I arrived with my samples at these 2 institutions they truly loved everything about it. Since each box cost me $20 in raw mateials plus about 25 minutes on the Laser (which included a graphic of their major buildings on the inside cover), I priced them in the $40 to $50 range (couldn't go any lower than that).

The respective Gift Shop Managers had the same sympathetic look on their faces as they showed me the aisles (and aisles) of incredible, beautiful Chinese imported souvenirs that cost anywhere from $5 to $20. They each gave me about 20 inches of shelf space between these glittering Chinese items; I immediately knew that I wasn't going to see a lick of business from this path.

There were other ideas and gift shows that had the same result, every unique idea I had was countered by a low priced item from another country. I'm not blaming anyone other than myself; I am simply posting this here because it might be of some value to a person considering initiating a business. Take your time, spend about a month reading every post on this board - and then be real cautious about your actions.

Best Wishes to everyone (and if anyone needs a Laser then please see our classified entry).

David Dustin
09-19-2008, 2:39 PM
Dave, Sorry to hear about your misfortune, and hope your next adventure turns out better.

David

Mike Null
09-19-2008, 3:12 PM
Dave

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. What you did is so similar to the stories of many others who came to the same end.

Developing and marketing "products/items" for the laser is almost a sure path to failure. Not that there aren't exceptions but engraving is fundamentally a service for sale rather than an item producer.

Successful items depend on great marketing plans and broader distribution than a few stores.

I've been at it for 10 years now and while I always offered the engraving service, my original idea was to engrave for woodworkers. Today I do no work for woodworkers. Had I not changed and broadened my focus I would have had to sell my machine several years ago.

Scott Kilroy
09-19-2008, 3:43 PM
Sorry to hear the news. As someone who has experienced the roller coaster ride that is running your own business, all I can say is very few people have the nerve to try.

Belinda Barfield
09-19-2008, 4:30 PM
Dave, sorry to hear about the close of your business. We were contemplating the same thing earlier this year, but our business (not laser) is starting to pick up a bit. I would have never owned my own business but my Honey was very gung ho about it so I jumped in with him. Having said that, if I win the lottery and just want to do something for fun I'm opening a bookstore! Making a living from laser products is definitely a tough thing to do IMHO. Lots of folks here on the Creek are successful at it, but I'm guessing there are a lot of others out there that aren't. The ones that are don't seem to do a lot of retail business, but more contract and commercial. Best of luck in your next venture/job.

Dan Hintz
09-19-2008, 10:21 PM
the laser is surely tempting, though... been looking to pick up a machine, possibly a ULS, with 12x24 bed and rotary. Yours is a one-stop package, for sure. Tempting, so veeeery tempting (and I'm only 3 hours away!).

Skip Weiser
09-19-2008, 11:22 PM
I'm betting that Dan is going to buy Dave's laser.

He sounds way too excited. And he's only 3 hours away!

Dan, have you left yet? lol

Skip

Dan Hintz
09-20-2008, 12:16 PM
And I'm betting Dan will die a long, slow, painful death if he puts off getting his SO an engagement ring much longer ;) I've been informed a deep pink or bright yellow diamond is acceptable. She realizes the laser would pay for itself relatively quickly, but it would still mean putting off the ring... she's a patient woman, but tempting fate like that is just dangerous business :rolleyes:

Still, veeeeery tempting...

Scott Shepherd
09-20-2008, 1:33 PM
And I'm betting Dan will die a long, slow, painful death if he puts off getting his SO an engagement ring much longer ;)

So one way is a long, slow, painful death with a new toy and one's a long, slow, painful death without the new toy..... :D

Bill Cunningham
09-21-2008, 10:35 PM
B u y the laser Dan... She'll understand.... women are women, but TOYS are forever...:D

Rob Bosworth
09-22-2008, 5:45 PM
This discussion is way over my head. I didn't understand any of it:eek:

Dan Hintz
09-23-2008, 9:02 AM
Awwww, my long post about rings was cut :(

Hoping Dave let's me know what's going on soon. I've been given the thumbs up by the "boss", transportation shouldn't be an issue, and the bank is standing by... just waiting to hear back from Dave.

Mike Null
09-23-2008, 9:11 AM
Dan

No offense intended. I tried to move it to Blue Nile but couldn't find their forum.

Rangarajan Saravana kumar
09-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Hi, Sorry to hear this news.. I want to acknowledge your view that making a full view about the laser to move on is very important. we do had a luck of escaping from that trap. we set laser for making wooden portraits only ,initially. Business didnt go good.

After one year of deep frustration we tried dift aspects and entered awards field.. its is a perenniel buisiness dealing with colleges, exhibitions, meetings etc., now its ok and challenging.

Any way all the best in the future projects

Rangarajan Saravanakumar
Microcraft technologies
Epilog 24EX, nicejet Flatbed printer, Sublimation , corel 11