View Full Version : Arrr!

Greg Stanford
09-19-2008, 9:33 AM
Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day!

g

Mike Wilkins
09-19-2008, 10:14 AM
AARRGGGGHHH!!!
We hear that a lot here in eastern North Carolina, home of the East Carolina University Pirates.
I did not know there was a talk like a pirate day holiday. Now I know.

Greg Cole
09-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Living with a now 7 year old boy & the whole Pirates of the Caribean....
I feel your pain. We watch the movies over n over and we've made swords in the shop to play with when we watch the movies too.
I will admit I do like the movies (hello Keira ;)) , just maybe not so much on the 50th time.....:rolleyes:

Greg

Rick Huelsbeck
09-19-2008, 10:59 AM
But what else :D

Pat Germain
09-19-2008, 2:54 PM
Turn to, ye bilge squids! Just because yer busy talkin' like pirates don't mean there aren't other tasks to be tended and sail to be mended. And don't ye be thinkin' a malingerin' on me watch! Theren't be nobody on the binnacle list on this day, I can tell ye.

Care to try me there, young scaliwag? The Cap'n know I be the hardest soul onboard this 'ere barge next to 'im. Each day he ask me if I be a hard man. "Aye, sir!" I answers. "I's hard, sir. I is. I am. I are!"

Don Abele
09-19-2008, 10:54 PM
I'm glad I was in D.C. today instead of on the ship...they said it was just one "Arrr" after another all day today.

But they kept smiling and telling them we were not pirates and never spoke like that :)

Be well,

Doc

Eric Larsen
09-20-2008, 1:20 AM
I cannot believe that in the entire history of the USS Constitution, not one "Arrrr," "Avast," or "Scurvy Dog" was uttered.

I can see how "'tis the black spot" might not have been said. And I doubt anyone ever "shivered his timbers."

But "Arrrr?" Had to have been said.

Even today, I'll bet I can get an "Arrrrr" out of somone. Whack 'em with a belaying pin, and you'll either get an "Arrrrrrr" or an "Owwwwww" I'd probably also get a few years in the brig....

http://www.offthemarkcartoons.com/cartoons/2008-01-22.gif

Don Abele
09-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Eric, we still use "avast" today. It's a command that means to stop what you are doing, but don't move. We actually train in 18th century seamanship skills and use all the same techniques and commands they did back then as well.

"Scurvy dog" and "shiver me timbers" probably were uttered, as they were pretty common slang amongst sailors in general. Shiver me timbers was a term about being shocked, like when the ship slammed hard into the water or was struck with cannon balls, the timbers (wooden planks) would shiver (shake), and startle the sailors. It also means to splinter the wooden sides as when a cannon balls hulls a ship. In some dialects, shiver meant splinter.

Now, for "arrr"...just not sure about that one. Of course, we do say jokingly from time to time (just don't tell anyone, it's not professional). When in our period uniforms, we also never strike the Captain Morgan pose either ;) (at least not where the public can see us).

Be well,

Doc

Tyler Howell
09-21-2008, 8:49 AM
I give up Don :confused:
What's the Bacardi Rum pose:confused:
I'm well aware of the Captain Morgan pose:rolleyes::D.

Glenn Clabo
09-21-2008, 9:06 AM
You're right Tyler...Me thinks the good Doc means ....
http://www.paravia.com/DonMaitz/Version3/Artwork/Pirates/CaptainMorgan/images/MorgansRum.jpg

Don Abele
09-21-2008, 10:02 AM
Ooopps...wrong rum...

You're correct Glenn, Captain Morgan, not Bacardi...(I edited my post)...

Be well,

Doc

Tyler Howell
09-21-2008, 12:21 PM
2 Fingers of either on the rocks with Coke is a great sun downer:D

Arrr!!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-21-2008, 12:24 PM
2 Fingers of either on the rocks with Coke is a great sun downer:D

Arrr!!!!

Is that measurement made using the width of the fingers or the length of the fingers? Being strictly a beer man, I am unfamiliar with that unit of measurement.
:rolleyes::p