PDA

View Full Version : 2nd day working on the Lathe (pics)

Jim Ketron
05-11-2004, 5:09 PM
Well this is My 2nd day on the Jet Mini lathe Im Just getting started and I already Love the little thing. Learning how to use the chisels and trying to control them to make good cuts and keeping them sharp. I orderd the set from HF and its on backorder so I purchased a very chep set for $10.00 so I can play with it some.(I have No Patience)
Well I loved the piece that Bill Grumbine posted !
So I gave it a shot It does not come close to the craftsmanship of his but I tried My best.The rings are too small I will make them larger on the next one. but a good learning experience! Its made from a piece of cherry I found on a jobsite it was a 2 1/2" square x 6' long used by the trucking company to haul materials

What would be a good finish for this?

Thanks Bill Grumbine for the tips!
Jim
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/IM000689.sized.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
05-11-2004, 5:41 PM
Jim, I'd say you're a natural! Looks good to me.

Jim Becker
05-11-2004, 6:14 PM
Sheesh...two days on the lathe and he's already turning captive rings. :eek: Yup. A natural. Welcome to the addiction!! :D

Stefan Antwarg
05-11-2004, 8:09 PM
That's great for only 2 days. I have taken a spindle turning lesson, read a book, and have had a lathe for quite a while. I have yet to make ANYTHING other then pens spindle turning. I just can't do it! Some people just have it. Good job!

Stefan

John Shuk
05-11-2004, 8:23 PM
And the rings intertwine? I think this guy is a ringer{pardon the pun}. I like walnut oil from the super market on the stuff I'm doing. I put it on wait about five minutes or so and sort of buff it off. You can keep building it too if you want each day. Very nice job. BTW don't you just love how the cherry smells when you turn it?

Andy London
05-11-2004, 9:18 PM
Awsome job!!

I've had our Jet mini for about two months and it quickly became my favorite tool to play with, well when the kids let me near it at least.

IMO it is the best bang for the buck of any tool I own.....I mean you could take this think campin with the family and turn some stuff by the campfire. :D

Andy

Dale Thompson
05-11-2004, 10:01 PM
Jim,
This may be your second day on the Jet Mini but your work looks like your twentieth year on the LATHE!! Don't lie to us. ;) Whatever the facts are, you do VERY nice work. :) :) CONGRATULATIONS and thanks for the pics.

Dale T.

Jim Ketron
05-11-2004, 11:05 PM
Jim,
This may be your second day on the Jet Mini but your work looks like your twentieth year on the LATHE!! Don't lie to us. ;) Whatever the facts are, you do VERY nice work. :) :) CONGRATULATIONS and thanks for the pics.

Dale T.

Thanks for the complements guys!:D
No lie its the only lathe Ive ever had. I did use one at AG shop a long time ago but the Teacher would not let us use it much.
I just enjoy building things with wood or metal.
Jim

Bill Grumbine
05-12-2004, 8:32 AM
Very nice start Jim! I am impressed, as captive rings are not all that easy to turn. To answer your finish question, I use Bartley's Gel Varnish for things like this. In reality it is a polyurethane, but it gives a very soft shine, and looks good when it is done.

Good luck with it and keep up the good work!

Bill

Jim Ketron
05-12-2004, 5:13 PM
Thanks Bill for the tip on the finish! And I looked at your website. Nice job!!
It has a lot of info for a newbie like me Im going to check it out some more later on tonight. (I have some shavings to throw now):D
Thanks Again,
Jim

Joe Pendleton
06-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Two days? I have had my Jet Mini VS for three weeks. I love it...all I have made is a pile of sawdust. I am very impressed! How tall is your goblet?

Joe Pendleton

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-24-2006, 1:07 PM
Sheesh...two days on the lathe and he's already turning captive rings. :eek: Yup. A natural. Welcome to the addiction!! :D

Captive and interlocking no less.

Jim Becker
06-24-2006, 1:17 PM
Joe and Cliff... you'll note that this thread was from back in 2004. Jim is quite an expert turner at this point...with a big shop and a big lathe, not to mention all kinds of welded accessories that are the cat's meow.

I'm going to move this thread to the Turning Forum since it didn't exist back when this thread was started... :)

Frank Fusco
06-24-2006, 2:49 PM
Two days? Excuse me while I go kill myself.

David Fried
06-24-2006, 3:24 PM
I think this look back in time is great!
Hard to believe Jim hasn't been turning 20 years.
Gives some of us a glimmer of hope.

Ernie Nyvall
06-24-2006, 4:58 PM
Joe and Cliff... you'll note that this thread was from back in 2004. Jim is quite an expert turner at this point...with a big shop and a big lathe, not to mention all kinds of welded accessories that are the cat's meow.

I'm going to move this thread to the Turning Forum since it didn't exist back when this thread was started... :)

:D :D I didn't even notice the date. I did think though that maybe Jim fell and hit his head.:p :D Thanks for pointing that out.

Ernie

Jim Ketron
06-25-2006, 6:34 PM
Thanks guys!
Man that was a while back, I will have to dig that one out of the closet for the measurements. :D

Glenn Hodges
06-26-2006, 7:32 AM
Great looking work, Jim.