PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
09-19-2008, 7:06 AM
Friday September 19th, 2008

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS".

What great weather we're having. It's been sunny with temps in the low to mid 70's all week. And it's supposed to stay like this for most of next week too, even though Monday, the 22nd, will usher in the first day of autumn.

Haven't gotten anything accomplished in the shop nor have I gotten anything done as far as prepping for the changing of the season this past week. I really need to do some of both this weekend. We'll see.

I imagine Jim will be taking it easy this weekend; resting his muscles after moving and stacking all that wood. It sure is nice having all that wood, but it sure is a lot of work, especially as we get older. ;):)

So, what's up in your part of the world? Any big plans? Or just goofing off?

Whatever is on your agenda, I hope you enjoy the weekend and please be SAFE.

Karl

Mike Heidrick
09-19-2008, 7:18 AM
Driving to Lavern's (sp) and Oakie Steve's sawmill today. Leaving here in a few. Hope to do more rearranging tomorrow and Sunday in the shop. May have to mow again after all the ran last week.

alex grams
09-19-2008, 7:59 AM
Post Ike Cleanup, power next week sometime hopefully. Having to keep putting bags of ice in the chest freezer to save the 3 briskets and 5 racks of ribs and rest of food in there... bleh!

Art Mulder
09-19-2008, 8:43 AM
A Sunny High of 27c is forecast for tomorrow. (80F) I'm seriously thinking of taking the kids to the beach in the afternoon. One last chance to play in the sand and waves along Lake Huron.

We've also got the annual church picnic schedule for Sunday after church, which should be great weather as well.

And in the shop I've got a pine end table that I need to get finished off, so there may be some painting and polyurethaning going on as well in between all the rest.

Oh yeah, and maybe a 2h bike ride in the morning as well.

Have a great weekend!

Rod Sheridan
09-19-2008, 8:56 AM
Well, I'll be making 18 flat slab kitchen doors for a non profit housing co-operative (they're paying for material, I'm donating labour and shop time).

I also have to go into work from 03:00 to 07:00 as we're having a power system release for maintenance.

Regards, Rod.

Rob Cunningham
09-19-2008, 9:01 AM
Moving my oldest son in to college on Sat morning. Hopefully get some time in the shop in the afternoon. The grass needs cutting along with some other outside work. I'm tired already:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
09-19-2008, 9:05 AM
I imagine Jim will be taking it easy this weekend; resting his muscles after moving and stacking all that wood. It sure is nice having all that wood, but it sure is a lot of work, especially as we get older.

If only...still working on the clean up; have a riding lesson tomorrow (to learn English style riding so I can better supervise Nastia, etc); a bunch of "around the house tasks" before I go back to work on Monday (vacation this week); a horse show on Sunday morning (Nastia riding in it) and I need to get into the shop to make the small moldings I need to finally get the glass in the wet bar cabinet doors. No rest for the weary. Oh, rumor has it I may get a 'Creeker visit on Sunday night if the logistics can work out...;)

BUT...what's this "stuff" about getting older??? :eek::mad::(:o:p:):D:cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
09-19-2008, 9:44 AM
BUT...what's this "stuff" about getting older??? :eek::mad::(:o:p:):D:cool:

There is one alternative to aging but I'd not rush it.....but that's just me.:rolleyes:

Ben Davis
09-19-2008, 11:13 AM
the in-laws are coming into town this weekend, so I'll be busy with all of those activities. I did get a little bit of shop time this weekend to work on my first set of plantation shutters. A few learning curves to say the least. I'm glad I'm making more than one set in this instance!

JohnT Fitzgerald
09-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Supposed to be nice weather, we we're thinking of taking the kids apple picking on Sunday. if I get any shop time, I'm going to continue my cleanup/organize work, and might start looking for parts to build an air cleaner. I was going to buy the JDS, but if I can scrounge up a blower or some fans then I might just try my hand at making one.

Eric Larsen
09-19-2008, 11:56 AM
My weekend starts today. I poured the footings for a 240sq elevated garden yesterday. It took eight 90-lb bags of concrete. I also built a great outfeed table this week and stripped down my jointer and rebuilt it so the tables are co-planar.

I have a block wall to build and I'm still waiting on stair parts (delayed in Houston thanks to Ike). But I'm really sore from landscaping, so I'm going to take (gasp!) a three-day weekend.

Tomorrow I'm going to take the in-laws to International Marketplace -- quite frankly the best grocery on earth. It's one of the real joys of living in this desert. What's International Marketplace, you ask? Take every ethnic grocery from Albania to Zanzibar and compress them all into one big warehouse. You can get everything from real English bangers to real German mustard to sushi-grade tuna -- all under one roof.

Each aisle represents a different country. But they have three full aisles devoted to Japanese snacks. (So if you like Pretz and Pocky, you'll be in heaven.) They also have the best meat selection -- unusual cuts only. Get your ribeye elsewhere. These guys deal in bones, guts and shanks. Oh, yeah.

I'll probably buy a lot of veal bones and roast them for the marrow (on toast) and then make stock from the rest. It's cool enough that I don't mind making stock. A dab of demi-glace aside, I've run of the stock I made last winter.

I'll also buy a skate at their fish market. They have fresh fish flown in from all corners of the globe, and it's always good stuff. Skate is one of my favorites. Removing the skin is a pain (literally, it's like 40-grit sandpaper). But once that's off, roasted skate tastes like a cross between scallops and trout. I like mine slathered with pesto.

Sunday, I'm going to whip up a big batch of nacho-dip (or Bratwurst from International Marketplace) and watch football. I'm still not used to football on the west coast -- the games start at freakin' 10 a.m. That's just not right! I've barely finished my coffee!

Dan Gill
09-19-2008, 12:46 PM
I'll be at the Upward football games all day tomorrow doing the halftime devotionals. Sunday I will be teaching class at church in the morning, and in the afternoon I'm hoping to get in some skeet shooting. If I get any woodworking in, it will be in the downtimes.

Tyler Howell
09-20-2008, 1:09 AM
I'm going to be recovering. Just got back from a boat delivery. The sailing part was pretty uneventful, but I hung around to help the owner disassemble and take the 45 foot Morgan and out of the water.

A lot of climbing, hauling and wrenching.

Saw some amazing WW with just a tape, sawzall and a screw gun.

We had cradles, supports and jack stands built from scrap in a couple of hours.

A little shop time tomorrow and lunch with friends on Sun.
Play safe.

"Jacob Robinson"
09-20-2008, 1:54 AM
Finally brought my sisters wedding gift home, 3 weeks late, but who's counting!!

Guy Germaine
09-20-2008, 8:27 AM
Heading over to see Tom Sontag this morning. I need some more walnut. This afternoon will be spent at the Scott Air Force Base Air Show, watching the Thunderbirds.

Dennis Peacock
09-20-2008, 8:38 AM
Howdy Karl,

As far as I know? It's just a Saturday at the day job, a Sunday bass playing at church, family time Sunday evening, and we hope to go camping on Monday for a day or so, then it's back to firewood gathering and finally, back to the day job.

- Have a great weekend..!

John Lucas
09-20-2008, 11:16 AM
One thing: to finish review of JessEm Zip Slot Mortise Mill. Will post it Sunday.