PDA

View Full Version : What to see in Savannah / Tybee Island

Alex Shanku
09-18-2008, 6:59 PM
My wife and I will be there this coming week.

Any creeker recommendations?

Thanks!!!

Casey Gooding
09-18-2008, 8:28 PM
If you don't mind waiting in line, Paula Dean's restaurant is very popular.

Robert Meyer
09-18-2008, 9:15 PM
The Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum has a large collection of large scale ship models from Savannah past as well as other areas. I usually don't enjoy models but liked these.
The Telfair Academy of Arts and Science has a large collection of historic furniture. The Owen-Thomas House and the Davenport House both have excellent period furniture and decorations. Cathedral of St. John is worth a visit. Enjoy!

James Manning
09-18-2008, 10:38 PM
I 2nd Paula Deen's place if you love southern food. And if you like seafood, come on down south another 40 minutes to my neck of the woods Darien and Brunswick, St Simons Island, Sea Island and of course Jeykll Island.:D

Bruce Wrenn
09-18-2008, 10:46 PM
Go to the visitor's center and take in the program. It is in the old train station on MLK Blvd. Takes about an hour. Tybee Island lighthouse is nice. Fort Pauluski (sp?) on the way out to Tybee is also worth seeing. Robert E Lee designed it when he was a Union Army officer. Check out the shops (pubs) on River Street. Get some pralienes from River Street Sweets. Walk the squares downtown. On the weekends, check out Keller's Flea Market. Williams Seafood on the way to Tybee is a good place to eat. Just make sure you are there before nine. They close promptly. Come back on March 17th for the Saint Patrick's Day parade. Due to health issues, we have missed three in the last twenty years. Check out he Mighty Eighth Bomber museum. Go by Wormsloe (sp) historic site.

Thomas Williams
09-18-2008, 11:46 PM
I second the visitor center and take one of the tours. Also, the fort on Tybee is interesting and there is the light house near by. If you are going to Lady and Sons (aka Paula Deans restaurant), you need to be at the restaurant by 9 am to make reservations. I recommend the Sapphire Grill for a great meal. Sting Rays is another enjoyable place to eat while on Tybee Island.

Scott Rollins
09-19-2008, 6:33 AM
The crab trap or crab shack is located on the main road between tybee and savannah. The food was good and the view of the marshes was amazing.
Also for night life the strip along the river is usually pretty good

Bill Arnold
09-19-2008, 7:46 AM
What a timely post! My wife and I will spend a couple of days in Savannah. We'll arrive around noon on Friday, 9/26 and leave Sunday around noon. We already have tickets for the dinner cruise on Friday.

John Eaton
09-19-2008, 7:57 AM
While at the visitor's center, pick up a walking tour of the squares (or if you look around online there are some available for free download) - it's not a bad walk and you can kill a couple of hours while you wait for restaurant reservations. I actually like some of the modern dwellings in the town as well - there's the Thunderbird Motel across the street from an old Grayhound bus terminal. I've got some Modern images posted here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnnyapollo/sets/72157605178416015/

-- John

Dusty Fuller
09-19-2008, 9:58 AM
Wormsloe historic site is a good one, and if you have time you could bump down to Skidaway Island State Park. Lots of wildlife there, I've heard. The city parks are neat, and of course you have to go to River Street. Great town to visit for a couple of days. Savannah and Charleston (SC) are on my list for this fall/winter.

Belinda Barfield
09-19-2008, 1:07 PM
Alex & Bill, go here to check out events in Savannah this weekend and for the coming week. http://savannahnow.com/do/ (http://savannahnow.com/do/)

Unless you just like to stand in line, skip Paula Deen's. Don't miss the Old Pink House Tavern for dinner. If you like music visit Jazz'd Tapas Bar.

This weekend will be a little hairy downtown and on River Street as this weekend is Pride Fest. You're just missing Octoberfest and Pirate Fest on Tybee - two of my favorite events. The Mighty 8th Air Force Museusm is well worth the trip. Take a day and head down to St. Simons to tour Fort Frederica and Old Christ Church. Take another day and head to Beaufort, SC - fun town. Fort Pulaski is interesting also. Sit in one of the parks and people watch. Several good antique stores and book stores around downtown. Go to city market on Saturday and Sunday afternoon for live music. While there tour the galleries and upstairs artist studios. There is one neat lady who does bronzes and she is fascinating to watch. Visit the SCAD bookstore - I think they have every magazine in the world, but specifically lots and lots of speciality mags for woodworking, etc. Great cemeteries - especially Bonaventure. I don't think the ghost tour is up and running yet, but if so, that one is a hoot. I think it's just because you get to ride around in an open hearse. Picnic in Forsyth Park. Tour the Mansion on Forsyth, formerly a funeral home, if they are still running tours (here's a little bit of trivia they want tell you . . . the pastry kitchen is in the former embalming room). Go to the Pirate's house. Have coffee at the Sentient Bean.

Some things you need to know. Don't feed the parking meters on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Weekend parking is free. It's not posted anywhere and the city is happy to take your money if you want to give it. After dark don't venture downtown past Broughton or Martin Luther King Blvd unless you are in a large group. If possible don't walk after dark alone or as a couple.

Feel free to PM me or e-mail me if you want more info. Let me know what part of town you are staying in and I can get a little more specific. I hope you enjoy your visit to my city and come back again soon!

One more thing - http://www.saltydawgadventures.com/tours.html#3hr Nice way to see the coast.

Michael McCoy
09-19-2008, 1:12 PM
Now I wish I had made a similar post when a friend and I went to Savannah a couple of months ago. We had an enjoyable time but we did make the mistake of going to a couple of places we shouldn't have and didn't see most of the sites ya'll listed. :)

Belinda Barfield
09-19-2008, 1:17 PM
Now I wish I had made a similar post when a friend and I went to Savannah a couple of months ago. We had an enjoyable time but we did make the mistake of going to a couple of places we shouldn't have and didn't see most of the sites ya'll listed. :)

Well now y'all just come right on back. I love to play tour guide! :D
Want to share about the places you shouldn't have gone?

Michael McCoy
09-19-2008, 1:34 PM
Well now y'all just come right on back. I love to play tour guide! :D
Want to share about the places you shouldn't have gone?

Sure - we finished dinner and felt like a nice stroll and at that point, we didn't have any sage advice about not venturing too far from MLK Blvd at night. Nothing happened but some young toughs thought we would be an easy mark.

Belinda Barfield
09-19-2008, 1:41 PM
Sure - we finished dinner and felt like a nice stroll and at that point, we didn't have any sage advice about not venturing too far from MLK Blvd at night. Nothing happened but some young toughs thought we would be an easy mark.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I am glad though that you shared this though, what you describe is fairly typical for that area. MLK Blvd itself can be dangerous.

Michael McCoy
09-19-2008, 2:41 PM
I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I am glad though that you shared this though, what you describe is fairly typical for that area. MLK Blvd itself can be dangerous.

We have areas even worse in Charleston and if a person (me) goes where it's pretty obvious he shouldn't be going, he's also to blame. Your city has to much to offer to let the small stuff keep people away. ;)

Joe Petersen
09-20-2008, 10:16 AM
Tybee is the place for me. Mikes dolphin tour was the highlight of this years trip. Right in the playground for lots of watching. Also they take you for an up close view of Cockspur(sp?) lighthouse. (an island at lowtide that disappears at high tide)