PDA

View Full Version : Chilean Mesquite

Mike Vickery
09-18-2008, 5:31 PM
Have not been around much, I gave up turning over the summer this year. I just did not have the energy to put up with the heat.

Well it is cooling off now and here is the first bowl to come off the lathe. Chilean Mesquite 9 1/2 by 2 1/2 with a monsterous 1 inch rim.

Comments and critiques are always appreciated.

Steve Schlumpf
09-18-2008, 5:47 PM
Mike - monster rim or not - I can still tell that is your bowl! Beautiful work - great looking wood - wonderful photo! Hope this means that you can get back into your shop a little more often and start posting again! I'm looking forward to it!

David Walser
09-18-2008, 6:40 PM
Mike,

I look forward to seeing your work. You did a great job with this bowl. The wood, itself, is very nice. The form you choose shows off the undulating grain to great advantage.

Bernie Weishapl
09-18-2008, 7:41 PM
That is beautiful Mike. Good to have you back turning. Miss your post and pictures.

robert hainstock
09-18-2008, 8:15 PM
That's a very nice bowl. Having once been thru Phoenix in August, I don't bame you for hunkering down during the summer. Keep them coming. :):)
Bob

Richard Madison
09-18-2008, 8:37 PM
That is way pretty, bowl and wood both! Did not know that there was Chilean Mesquite. What part of Texas does it come from? Just kidding about that last. Serious about first sentence.

ROY DICK
09-18-2008, 8:52 PM
Nicely done Mike.Outstanding.

charlie knighton
09-18-2008, 9:35 PM
nice, thanks for sharing

Keith Burns
09-18-2008, 9:46 PM
I always enjoy seeing your work Mike. Very nice piece.

Mark Patoka
09-19-2008, 8:13 AM
Very nice, I like the clean simple lines. Having lived in Tucson for a few years, I don't blame ya for waiting for "cooler" days.

Mike Vickery
09-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Thanks guys I appreciate all of the feed back.

It has been so long I actually forgot how to do a good post. I forgot to mention anything about the finish. I used Tried and True original formula to finish ( BLO/Beeswax mix), and buffed it out with just the wax wheel.

I am on vacation and my wife gave me the afternoon to turn, so I will have more to post soon.

Mike Vickery
09-19-2008, 12:38 PM
That is way pretty, bowl and wood both! Did not know that there was Chilean Mesquite. What part of Texas does it come from? Just kidding about that last. Serious about first sentence.

I would not be surprised if you had them in Texas. I know here we have three different kinds on Mesquite that are all pretty common.
http://www.distinctiveturnings.com/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Chilean+Mesquite+-+Prosopis+chilensis

Richard Madison
09-19-2008, 1:03 PM
Interesting site (Arizona Tree Identification). Thanks Mike. Have seen mesquite from three different sources and they are all different from each other, but have no clue which is which.