PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Question

Mark Kelly
05-11-2004, 1:34 PM
Following up my thred on shellac...

I am planning on making a table this summer that will be heavily used. Mainly by kids for playing: legs, hotwheels, playdough, glue, markers, pencils, etc. I was thinking of using a piece of formica for the table top. However, I like the look of wood. What finish would be appropriate for this? I need something very durable, able to scrape off dried glue, withstand some (if any) scratch marks, etc.

Any thoughts?

Steven Wilson
05-11-2004, 2:34 PM
Using the formica would be a good idea. If you want a film finish then expect scratches, gouges, etc.. I would use shellac or lacquer and then just repair the finish every once and awhile - card scraper to level out the old finish, apply a couple of coats of lacquer or shellac and then return it to service in a couple of days.

Earl Kelly
05-11-2004, 2:47 PM
Mark, like your last name. If you have a spray gun, conversion varnish will hold up. It's the finish used on a lot of conference tables. 2K urethane would be better but thats not readily available. If you can't spray I would look into subbing out the finishing to a cabinet shop that does conversion varnish. Formica type laminates would be pretty much bullet proof though.

Jim Becker
05-11-2004, 3:14 PM
This is one of the very few times that'll I'll ever chime in favor of the "evil polyurethane" varnish, although something like Pratt and Lambert's #38 or Sherwin Williams Fast Dry Varnish will also perform well. Their properties are likely to give you the results you desire and they are easily applied. Otherwise, a hard conversion varnish like Earl recommends would be good, but you need to right equipment to put it on and the ability to take necessary safety precautions for spraying such a finish.

Tim Sproul
05-11-2004, 4:03 PM
My take on your situation is to bend with the hurricane rather than try to defeat it.

I'd choose a finish that is easily renewed. There is no finish...not even covering the table with M2 tool steel....that will last long with kids playing on it. Bend with the tempest and use an oil and wax finish or a shellac. Poly and catalyzed lacquers will last a bit longer but not long enough.....then think about the length of time you'll have to spend to strip and refinish, never mind the nasty chemicals that are normally associated with that process. oil/wax and shellac will require you to clean the top and then reapply another coat. done in a matter of an hour or so.

Chris Padilla
05-11-2004, 4:57 PM
An oil/varnish blend like Velvit Oil might be well-suited for this. It is simple to apply and simple to fix...you wouldn't even need to move the table to reapply it.

Another option is to cover the table with glass or acrylic or plexiglass. Have it cut to match or cut it yourself. Most hardware stores stock decent sizes. How is that for a film finish! ;)

Mark Kelly
05-11-2004, 4:59 PM
how well does acrylic hold up to kiddos hard objects?? I never thought of using that.

Chris Padilla
05-11-2004, 5:03 PM
I dunno to be honest...maybe it scratches as easily or easier than lacquer or varnish? It is tough stuff for sure. Glass might be the best for scratches but that seems scary around children!

John Miliunas
05-11-2004, 10:25 PM
Mark, for the type of use you're suggesting, I'd almost have to vote for the plastic laminate. BUT, you can do it and still, at least partially, satisfy your preference of wood. Do the main field of the table with *Formica*, then edgeband the outer rim in a nice hardwood. Heck, it could even be a couple inches wide or so. Where plastic is a necessary "evil", this solution lends itself to both, form and function. Just MHO, of course... :cool: