PDA

View Full Version : Red Gum revival NE

Bill Wyko
09-18-2008, 5:05 PM
This piece was turned originally about 6 months ago. I blew the side of the mortise I had it chucked to. I had only got a hole down the middle about 2 or 3 inches around. I got fed up with it so I've been using it for an ash tray for my cigars since then. So the other night I got a wild hair and decided to make it a nicer "ash tray" Looks like it was a little too nice. LOML said "No way that's going to be an ash tray" So now I need to turn an ash tray.:D

It's about 7"s in diameter, 5" tall and most of it is only 1/8" thick. Because it has the crack from top to bottom, it was a real booger to get it this thin.

P.S. sorry I haven't been around much. Just real busy.

Bernie Weishapl
09-18-2008, 5:13 PM
I agree with the LOYL Bill. That is way to nice as a ash tray. That is some nice looking Red Gum. Well done. Good to see ya back Bill.

robert hainstock
09-18-2008, 5:55 PM
That red gum is awesome stuff in your hands. Glad the lady spoke up. :):):)
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
09-18-2008, 6:01 PM
Imagine my shock - Bill Wyco posting a non-segmented piece! I'll get over it! Good looking wood - amazing color! Glad the piece has been uplifted from ashtray to art piece! Hope you have some more of that Red Gum around!

Bill Wyko
09-18-2008, 6:41 PM
I have a block about 12x12x8 inches. when I bought it, I forgot my bandsaw only has a 6 inch resaw capacity. It'll be sitting around until I get a bigger Bandsaw.:o I really wish I'd have taken a before picture. This thing was a real turd.

Nathan Hawkes
09-18-2008, 9:00 PM
beautiful wood, nice piece! I'd have to agree about the ash tray bit. Wish we had some red gum around here. I really love the deep red colored woods. Hope to see some more of your turnings soon.

Richard Madison
09-18-2008, 9:15 PM
Steve I think he just left out some segments intentionally. Very cool piece.

Bill Wyko
09-19-2008, 12:52 AM
Thanks guys. I'll take better pics this weekend. This stuff was a real booger to turn. It was very dry.