PDA

View Full Version : Have I mentioned I don't love lovebugs?

Belinda Barfield
09-18-2008, 4:12 PM
We are in the midst of a lovebug plague of biblical proportions. I have never seen so many and they are annoying in the extreme. No bug spray affects them! When do these things go away?!?

Lee Schierer
09-18-2008, 5:00 PM
Get all your friends to drive around in their cars, the more they smash on their windshield the sooner they are gone.

I found the following on a wesite about Lovebugs: Two flights of lovebugs occur each year. The spring flight occurs during late April and May. A second flight occurs during late August and September. Flights extend over periods of 4 to 5 weeks. Mating takes place almost immediately after emergence of the females. Adult females live only 2-3 days.

Belinda Barfield
09-18-2008, 5:30 PM
Get all your friends to drive around in their cars, the more they smash on their windshield the sooner they are gone.

I found the following on a wesite about Lovebugs: Two flights of lovebugs occur each year. The spring flight occurs during late April and May. A second flight occurs during late August and September. Flights extend over periods of 4 to 5 weeks. Mating takes place almost immediately after emergence of the females. Adult females live only 2-3 days.

Actually Lee, we try NOT to drive. Lovebug guts will literally destroy the paint on a car. The innards are very corrosive. We normally get the two flights, but never this bad that I can remember. I can attest to the death of the females, I have been sweeping up dead bugs for days.

rob mason
09-18-2008, 5:36 PM
Here in South MS, they are bad lately, too. The only time I can remember a worse infestation was right after Hurricane Katrina - we were without power for 15 days and had to keep doors and windows open just to stay somewhat cool. We had thousands dead inside the house.

Greg Stanford
09-19-2008, 9:19 AM
When I was boarding up the windows for Gustav they were so bad I had to wear a dust mask to keep from breathing them in. They seemed drawn to the OSB I was using. I was actually hoping that the storm would blow them away some but no luck there. Oh & yeah I've been washing my truck every couple days too, they'll ruin a paint job quick.

g

Belinda Barfield
09-19-2008, 9:23 AM
When I was boarding up the windows for Gustav they were so bad I had to wear a dust mask to keep from breathing them in. They seemed drawn to the OSB I was using. I was actually hoping that the storm would blow them away some but no luck there. Oh & yeah I've been washing my truck every couple days too, they'll ruin a paint job quick.

g

Interesting Greg. We've been running the CNC on a lot of MDF. I wonder if they are attracted to that?

Someone told me try spray the grill/front bumper of my car with Pam. The bugs don't seem to stick as badly. Dust, however, does! Luckily I haven't had to work out in the shop much, but I'm seriously trying to figure out how to install a roll up screen door.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-19-2008, 9:46 AM
We experienced them in Brunswick, GA in the fall of '70. No offense, I'm glad it's just a Southern thing.

Belinda Barfield
09-19-2008, 9:57 AM
We experienced them in Brunswick, GA in the fall of '70. No offense, I'm glad it's just a Southern thing.

No offense taken Ken. If you're missing them even a little bit I'll be glad to ship you a Mason jar full. :D

Jude Tuliszewski
09-19-2008, 6:00 PM
Another choice is good ol vaseline pretroleum jelly on the front clip of the car. It is a little messy, but at the end of the bugs just wash your car with dish soap and then a wax job and it is good to go.

Scott Shepherd
09-21-2008, 9:37 AM
Belinda, have you seen this article - http://www.bugspray.com/article/lovebugs.html ?

It talks about various solutions for getting rid of them. I don't know anything about them, I just searched google and thought it had some good info in it.

Good luck!

Belinda Barfield
09-21-2008, 6:21 PM
Belinda, have you seen this article - http://www.bugspray.com/article/lovebugs.html ?

It talks about various solutions for getting rid of them. I don't know anything about them, I just searched google and thought it had some good info in it.

Good luck!

Steve,

Thanks for this link! First, Honey and I have argued for weeks about the bugs. I said they are much worse than usual, and he says they have always been this bad. Based on the article I WIN. (always important:D) Second, I now understand why we have a problem at our shop and not at home (thank goodness). Our shop backed up to a heavily wooded area until about a year ago and a half ago. The owner of the land was trying to sell and decided he was more likely to sell if he cut all of the timber. He did, and now the area more closely resembles a swamp with all the rain we had in the spring and summer. I'm sure all of the dead vegetation attracted aphids, white flies, etc. Since I can't spray 50 some odd acres of swamp I'm not sure what to do. Our building is block, the parking lot is asphalt. There is no vegetation. I think I'll call our County Extension Agent and ask for his advice. Thanks again.

P.S. I'm glad you haven't had to experience them first hand. Just remember not to drive down 95 to Florida during swarm season.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-21-2008, 7:03 PM
No offense taken Ken. If you're missing them even a little bit I'll be glad to ship you a Mason jar full. :D

Save your shipping fees Belinda.....PLEASE!