PDA

View Full Version : Best Router Bit Sharpening Service?

Jim Kirkpatrick
09-18-2008, 2:07 PM
Where do you get your router bits sharpened and what good or bad experience? Need to sharpen my CMT lock miter bit.

Bruce Wrenn
09-18-2008, 10:50 PM
I haven't had any router bits sharpened by Dynamic Saw in Buffalo NY, but I ship my blades from NC to them. Their prices are good and service is excellent. (www.dynamicsaw.com)

Eric Larsen
09-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Probably a dumb question:

Wouldn't sharpening a bit like a lock miter or cope and stick loosen the joints created thereafter (by the same amount that gets shaved off the carbide)?

glenn bradley
09-19-2008, 12:06 AM
Probably a true statement. Interlocking bits rely on mirror imaging. I imagine some profiles might tolerate it, a drawer-lock for example. Anyone out there have lock miter or rail and stile pairs sharpened who can chime in?

Jim Kirkpatrick
09-19-2008, 9:11 AM
It matters not. Both mating pieces are cut by the same bit. A lock miter bit is not a set, there's only one. Sigh.

Thomas Pender
09-19-2008, 9:13 AM
Some bits sharpen well, others do not because sharpening must change the profile or radius to some degree. Thus, you have to expect change. I have found this to be true with round overs, straights, etc. From my experience, sharpening a lock miter bit would be unsatisfactory (thankfully the sharpening did not cost much) because the bit became too sloppy to work properly. The problem is that each part must be sharpened exactly the same (theoretically). Hard to do in practice.

I would be interested to hear what others say. However, I do note that whenever there is a router bit sale of any kind, I buy - especially with my Akeda (closeout at Woodcraft right now) or Leigh jig bits.

Jim Becker
09-19-2008, 9:16 AM
I hone the flat edge (so as not to change the profile) to touch up a cutter, but consider them disposables. If I were using a profile so much that it really needed sharpening with any kind of frequency, I'd be using an insert cutter system for that particular operation.

Scott Whiting
09-19-2008, 10:32 AM
All router bits will change somewhat when the get sharpened. Interlocking bits tend to get loose or tight after successive sharpenings. Typically lock miters get tossed after only a few light sharpenings. Edge details can be sharpened all the way down without making a difference in the visible appearance. Most stile and rail sets can be sharpened several times because they are shim adjustable. Straight bits in most cases you can allow for the smaller diameter. Sharpening at $5-7 a piece looks real attractive compared to the price of many higher end new bits. Insert bits are really nice once you get past the initial outlay which is a big sticking point even for most commercial shops.