PDA

View Full Version : question for bandsaw quik-crank owners

John Pohja
09-18-2008, 6:27 AM
I recently bought a Quik-crank style tensioner for my jet bandsaw. The tensioning nut is 5/8 inch wide and fits too loosely in the tensioning slot under the spring causing the nut to spin in the slot. The original Jet nut is slightly wider than on the aftermarket unit, and the threads are different so i can't swap the nuts. Anyone run into this problem? Thanks, John

Jack Briggs
09-18-2008, 7:38 AM
I recently bought a Quik-crank style tensioner for my jet bandsaw. The tensioning nut is 5/8 inch wide and fits too loosely in the tensioning slot under the spring causing the nut to spin in the slot. The original Jet nut is slightly wider than on the aftermarket unit, and the threads are different so i can't swap the nuts. Anyone run into this problem? Thanks, John

John,

This is the one I got for my 14" bandsaw:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/ProductImages/bandsaw/189102.jpg

The nut is 11/16" square and doesn't spin in the channel. The handwheel is cast iron and, with it's weight, provides a freewheel action to ease cranking rotation. It's about $45 these days (I paid $65!) and I think worth it.

Cheers,

Jason Beam
09-18-2008, 11:26 AM

Strange - Mine fit just fine, too. I picked it up from PS Wood at a show some years ago. I noticed the different threads, too, and was glad that the nut provided fit fine. You might contact the place you got it from or the manufacturer to see if they can address the issue?