PDA

View Full Version : At last....a studio??

Rick Potter
09-18-2008, 2:40 AM
I finally wore down and bought a 25000 BTU window A/C unit for the shop. I had been waiting for the big labor day clearance sale at Lowes. Well, it never happened, and after 3 different stores told me they would not have a clearance sale on them, one manager offered me 10% off, and I grabbed it.

It's strange that HD has the same size unit for $599, and Lowes has one for $399, they are usually closer together. Anyway...$399 less 10% is about $360 and there is a $50 rebate from Edison, making it cost $310 plus tax. Also interesting is that if you look on Lowes website, the same unit is $799. Go figure. It's a Frigidaire, energy star rated.

A buddy who is a framer came over and cut a nice hole in the stucco wall, and we mounted it in the center of the long wall of the shop, high enough that someone walking by outside would not hit their head on it. The dry wall inside was cut so neatly, I only have to put a small molding around the unit.

I had to move an existing 20A 220 plug to hook it up, then realized it is on the same circuit as my Dust Gorilla. Luckily the DC has a long enough cord to reach the next 220 plug, which is on a different circuit.

I doubt I will use it too much this year as the really hot weather is almost done, but it does get into the mid to high 90's till November or so, even though the humidity is almost over. But I am ready for next year.

Wow, an air conditioned shop. Never thought I would see the day. Does this mean I can start calling it a studio now?

Rick Potter
Potter's Home Studio........That's what dad called his photo business in 1946.

Don Bullock
09-18-2008, 7:53 AM
Congratulations Rick. You still may get some use out of your AC this year. As you said, some years we have high temperatures into November.

Jim Becker
09-18-2008, 9:30 AM
Sounds like a nice deal and a great installation.

Jeff Craven
09-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Does this mean I can start calling it a studio now?
Only if you post pictures of said 'studio.' ;)

Rick Potter
09-19-2008, 3:11 AM
Someday I will take the time to learn how to do that. I have found that time doesn't last as long as it did when I was younger.

Rick P