PDA

View Full Version : What will you get with the free shipping?

Dave Lehnert
09-17-2008, 11:30 PM
So what is on your Lee Valley wish list? A new hand plane? Clamps? Is the free shipping deal going to push you over the edge to buy anything?

Rich Engelhardt
09-18-2008, 6:24 AM
Hello,
I had a nice Starrett all picked out.

Kathy got a new dishwasher instead:(.

That my friend, is the downside of being a landlord:rolleyes:.

Don Bullock
09-18-2008, 7:48 AM
I have to admit that the arrival of the Lee Valley catalog and the free shipping offer make a purchase from them very tempting right now. Since I'm currently spending thousands on building a new shop, I'll have to resist the temptation this time.:eek:

Eric DeSilva
09-18-2008, 8:51 AM
Seems like I've had a lapping plate stuck in my LV shopping cart for a while... May have to follow through with a final button press given the shipping deal. I also like their red pre-made metal tray drawers... Quick way of adding some extra drawer storage to shop rigs. Might have to order some more of those too...

Robert Strebler
09-18-2008, 8:55 AM
I'm thinking a low angle block plane is in my future.

Jim Becker
09-18-2008, 9:42 AM
I wan't planning on buying anything this week, but I'm going to have to re-evaluate that when I have another "meeting" with the catalog in the library... :D

Ron Conlon
09-18-2008, 9:48 AM
So what is on your Lee Valley wish list? A new hand plane? Clamps? Is the free shipping deal going to push you over the edge to buy anything?

That is a good question. I went to buy some rare-earth magnets from LV for $5.00, and the shipping was $8.00 :eek: so I cancelled. I love LV products, and have just learned to accept that their shipping is not competitive with some of the other woodworking suppliers. So I only order things I can't get from anyone else.

alex grams
09-18-2008, 10:04 AM
Jim,
When you say "meeting in the library", are you referring to the bathroom? My wife says me having catalogs available to read while I am using the 'facilities' has become detrimental to our finances...

Doug Shepard
09-18-2008, 11:45 AM
... I love LV products, and have just learned to accept that their shipping is not competitive with some of the other woodworking suppliers....

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. They dont seem any better or worse than most. The problem with them and most of the others is that they base their shipping cost on dollar amounts not weight. Seems like a deal if they're running a special on 10Lb bowling balls, but totally ridiculous if you're wanting a handful or rare earth mags that could go via USPS for $1.25. A handful of router bits puts you in the same shipping cost category as ordering multiple gallon jugs of glue, etc., etc. You're smiling if you ordered the glue, but not so happy if you bought the router bits.

Tom Esh
09-18-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm thinking a low angle block plane is in my future.

Me too ....but then I got this flyer and see my local WC is having a Customer Appreciation event next weekend - 10-20% off, including Lie-Nielsen. ...mmm decisions, decisions.

John Sanford
09-18-2008, 2:05 PM
Ahh, its all about the timing! If this were happening two weeks from now, I'd be a mighty happy camper.

I currently have the Veritas Skew Rabbet set, Veritas Hold Down, Veritas Medium Shoulder Plane, Veritas 36" Straight Edge, and a passel of other critters in my cart at LV. The Skew Rabbet, Hold Down and Straight Edge are likely to get "requisitioned" now, as those are the most needed, especially the straight edge. (gotta get my jointer back in shape, it took a tumble when I last moved.)

Dave Lehnert
09-18-2008, 3:25 PM
For myself i don't think it will get me to buy anything large. If you are spending $400 on hand planes. $13 is not going to push me one way or the other but I have been needing a #2 sq screwdriver and the set of planes for the shavehorse. Too cheap to justify spending the shipping charge. Free shipping makes small items doable.

Martin Dubois
09-18-2008, 4:42 PM
I also like their red pre-made metal tray drawers... Quick way of adding some extra drawer storage to shop rigs. Might have to order some more of those too...

Those red metal trays are no longer available. I was told that LV's supplier raised the price to a prohibitive level and that there is no plan to bring them back.

Chris Holder
09-18-2008, 5:07 PM
I saw that they had a couple of Mr. Wenzloff's fine saws available for purchase in the catalog, but I could not find them on the website. I really would like to purchase one, but I heard the company is in a back-order situation right now and didn't know if they were still supplying Lee Valley or not. Anyone have ideas?
I would be willing to place a backorder, but they do not appear to be accepting any more orders through their own site either.

Steve Clardy
09-18-2008, 5:14 PM
Current new catalog is about worn out.
Been on their website also after receiving the free shipping notice.

Decisions decisions.....:confused:

Jim Becker
09-18-2008, 9:55 PM
I saw that they had a couple of Mr. Wenzloff's fine saws available for purchase in the catalog, but I could not find them on the website..

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=57152&cat=1,42884

I only looked at the small tenon saw and it looks like it's available to my eyes...in fact, it found its way into my cart...and will be in a box by sometime early tomorrow. LOL

Eric DeSilva
09-18-2008, 11:09 PM
Bugger. They were pretty handy and convenient.

Steve Clardy
09-19-2008, 12:11 PM
I only looked at the small tenon saw and it looks like it's available to my eyes...in fact, it somehow fell into my cart........:confused:

:confused::confused:

That happens when I'm on LV's site also. :confused::eek::D:D:D

Scott Loven
09-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Just ordered a twin tail vice and a hold down, now I am going to have to build a bench!
Scott

Matt Meiser
09-19-2008, 12:26 PM
I didn't need anything, but I won a $25 Lee Valley gift certificate at my club's meeting last night so I ordered some bench pups and muzzles, and some square drive bits.

Per Swenson
09-19-2008, 12:48 PM
You good folks are a plague on my wallet (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,41182,41189&p=46791)
I mean that in a nice way.

Per

Will Blick
09-19-2008, 1:27 PM
TO: ROB LEE

PLEASE STOP THIS!!!

you are feeding our addiction.... aka an ENABLER !!!

but nonetheless, thank you :-)

Larry Fox
09-19-2008, 1:39 PM
Grrr - as luck would have it I placed (and received) an order last week. Timing has never been my strong suit.

Mike Henderson
09-19-2008, 1:48 PM
I bought a bunch of little things - things I had in my wish list but was waiting for some major purchase to spread the shipping over.

Mike

Jim Becker
09-19-2008, 2:20 PM
Grrr - as luck would have it I placed (and received) an order last week. Timing has never been my strong suit.

So...order again. :D

Tim Thomas
09-19-2008, 2:41 PM
Hey Ron, thanks for the tip on the magnets. I didn't know that Lee Valley sold those and I need some for a project I have coming up. I had been searching online for a good place to buy small rare earth magnets, but like you I was having a hard time getting over the shipping cost for such a small and relatively inexpensive item. No more! Now there are 50 of the 1/4 inch magnets on the way to my house for the low price of just $10.

My wife is going to take away my internet access if I keep buying stuff because of tips I find on this forum. :D So far I have bought:

3 Freud saw blades from Amazon ~ $100
Router bits from Amazon ~ $50
Rockler router table featherboard set ~ $10
Ridgid MSUV ~ $100
Lee Valley magnets ~ $10

BUT, it is all stuff that I "need" and I'm saving money and that is a good thing... right?

Like my uncle says to telemarketers, "I can't afford any more of your money saving offers!"

Will Blick
09-19-2008, 3:48 PM
OK, this free ship promotion pushed me over the edge..... gee, what a surprise....

Another wallet emptying joyful experience.... amongst other things I was not aware I needed, two new skew rabbet planes will be coming my way.....

Rob, you know how vulnerable most of us are.... have a heart, will ya? We are in a recession here! argggggg.....

Larry Fox
09-19-2008, 8:19 PM
So...order again. :D

Definitely works for me ... the CFO sees it differently though. :D