PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Drying Time

chris yount
09-17-2008, 10:18 PM
We recently had a pretty violent storm blow down some large cedar trees on our property.They range from 8"-12" at the ground and are 25'-30' long.I was wanting to make use of lumber but was wondering how long it needs to dry before use.I know cedar has alot less sap than pine would the drying time be shorter?
thanks,
chris

James Ashburn
09-17-2008, 11:53 PM
If you are asking about Eastern Red Cedar (sometimes called aromatic cedar), it has a lot of sap in it. It will air dry quickly under the right conditions but the sap will still bleed out for years. If you plan to finish the wood with either paint or poly you need to seal it with shelac (or shelac-based product like Kilz). The sap of cedars will disolve some oil based products and bleed through the finish. Basically it acts like weak turpentine (because it is).

To set the sap so this bleeding does not occur requires the wood be heated thoroughly to about 150-155 degrees F (if I remember correctly). This will also cause the aroma to fade some, possibly significantly.

Richard M. Wolfe
09-18-2008, 10:53 AM
If what you are referring to is eastern redcedar drying time is short on it compared to nearly all other woods. Where I am in north central Texas in the warm weather months air dried one inch stuff is ready to go in about two weeks. For cooler weather and more humid climates I would think four to six weeks would do it. The oils will work out for a long time and the best way to finish a project is to base coat it with shellac and then use the finish of your choice.

chris yount
09-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the advice.
I just need to get busy cutting and moving!
chris