PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat

Jon Lanier
09-17-2008, 8:40 PM
Working out in some yards again today and came across some spalted and figured maple. We've got about 30 blanks out of it so far. I am curious how some of you sell your blanks like this on the internet? More so, how do you ship it... some of these are big and heavy.

charlie knighton
09-17-2008, 9:24 PM
nice haul

most of the blanks i have bought on ebay have been band sawed into blanks with no bark, if bark in on they usually specify that wood was cut in winter

Bill Bolen
09-17-2008, 9:52 PM
I sold on eBay hot and heavy a year or two ago. I tried selling blanks along with a whole list of other stuff and did take the time to sell/package and ship six or seven. Cut to round, sealed all the way around. Put in a USPS priority mail box (they are free from the post office on line). Just put the weight and box size in your ebay shipping calculator and the buyer gets to see his exact shipping before he bids. Not much money to be made though. I think my biggest profit was about $15. That shipping does make it real expensive for the buyer! So you get little return for all your effort. I'd rather make something than spend all that time for so little return...Bill..

Robert McGowen
09-17-2008, 11:21 PM
The easiest way is to use the USPS flat rate boxes. They make them in 3 or 4 different sizes. Cut the blanks to fit the box. The post office provides the boxes for free and they will even come pick them up at your front door in the morning for free. You can print out a label, pay the postage, and schedule the pickup all on the internet. Shipping rates are set, so everyone will know what it costs going in to the deal. I have a daily UPS account and still use the USPS when I have something heavy that fits the flat rate boxes. I hope this helps.

Jason Solodow
09-19-2008, 3:36 PM
Jon - Where are you located at? I might be interested in some of them...

Jon Lanier
09-19-2008, 9:40 PM
Jon - Where are you located at? I might be interested in some of them...
Dayton, Ohio area.

Jon Lanier
09-26-2008, 1:01 AM
No new pictures. But I now have over 40 bowl blanks with pith's removed (not rounded out) ends are sealed and they are sitting on two pallets with a grey plastic tarp over them. There is Maple, Spalted Maple, Bradford Pear and some Birch. Looks like I'll be getting some walnut and maybe some cherry to join them.

Question is: Will they be safe from checking up over the winter? I don't see getting to all of them before then and the wife is not going to let me bring that much inside.