PDA

View Full Version : Can you sand wood again after applying BLO?

Dave Cohen
09-17-2008, 7:40 PM
I applied BLO to my cherry game board table top and noticed that some of the purple heart squares in the chess board section had small circles from the suction holes in the sand paper from the ROS.

Can I go back now at this point and start resanding the wood to get these out? If so are there any special considerations to follow at this point

Steve Schoene
09-17-2008, 8:07 PM
Yes, you can sand again, though expect to clog up sand paper at a prodigious rate.

Be sure to finish with hand sanding, using the same grit as you stopped machine sanding. Sanders with an orbital pattern, random or otherwise, leave cross grain scratches as part of their nature. I wouldn't think they would be particularly due to the dust collection holes in the sanding disks.

Dave Cohen
09-17-2008, 8:20 PM
to keep an eye on the sanding to make sure its ready to finish...just wipe down with mineral spirits periodically to see how it looks ?

glenn bradley
09-17-2008, 9:54 PM
Another yes. For work surfaces I sand between coats of BLO. If you wait a week or so for it to dry you won't burn through your abrasives as quick as when not-quite-dry ;-)