PDA

View Full Version : A couple general questions

Greg Hampton
09-17-2008, 2:59 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been curious about a few things regarding SMC so I thought I'd try submitting this post.

1. How long has SMC been around ?
2. Are there any SMC get togethers ? As in, in person ?

Thanks

Lee Schierer
09-17-2008, 4:23 PM
I don't recall the date when SMC started, but I'm sure others will it is at least 5 years old.

As far as get togethers, there are several regional picnics that have occurred and sually there is a gathering at the various regional woodshows. There was recently a gathering in Indianapolis (Indy Fest), there was one this summer near Kutztown, PA (Five Barns). In other years there have been gatherings in Arkansas, Washington, Virginia, Wyoming and Texas.

I have attended many of these and they were all good fun and interesting to meet other folks with a common interest. My best advice is to stay tuned as the gatherings are usually announced well in advance.

Also, if you put a city & state location in your profile, folks will realize they are near you and make contact for potential meetings.

Greg Hampton
09-17-2008, 4:44 PM
Hi Lee,

Thanks a ton for all the information.

What forum are the announcements typically posted ?

Belinda Barfield
09-17-2008, 5:11 PM
It all depends Greg. If the meet and greet is at a show it may be posted in the OT forum. If it's a local event planned by a turner it would probably be posted in the Turner's forum. If it is planned for an engraver's show it would be in the Engraver's forum. And so on. If you want to get together with some fellow creekers just throw the idea out there on the OT forum and see who bites, or on your forum of interest. As Lee said, information regarding your location is nice to know. You never know, there may be a fellow Creeker just a few miles away.

Bruce Page
09-17-2008, 6:03 PM
I believe the actual start date was 02/10/03

I think I was 26th on the sign up sheet.

Greg Hampton
09-18-2008, 1:16 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for the replies and the information you provided.

Much appreciated.

Greg Cole
09-18-2008, 1:28 PM
Greg,
When there is a tool show in your local area is a good time to look for Creeker Meet kind of thing. I know here in KC there's usually a bunch of Creekers that meet in the same place for breakfast every year, for example.

Greg

Steve Clardy
09-18-2008, 5:30 PM
Greg,
When there is a tool show in your local area is a good time to look for Creeker Meet kind of thing. I know here in KC there's usually a bunch of Creekers that meet in the same place for breakfast every year, for example.

Greg

Yep. Awaiting next year. :D

Greg Cole
09-19-2008, 9:14 AM
Steve,
I seem to remember you being famous for getting gravy on your shirt or something like that... ;).

Aaron Koehl
09-19-2008, 9:23 AM
Hi everyone,

I've been curious about a few things regarding SMC so I thought I'd try submitting this post.

1. How long has SMC been around ?
2. Are there any SMC get togethers ? As in, in person ?

Thanks

SawmillCreek started Feb 11, 2003, when Badger Pond went offline. We've had a few informal get-togethers, aka "Creeker gatherings" around the country, often when folks travel.

We did have an official SMC gathering in October 2005 where we had a swap meet in Gloucester, VA. Hopefully we'll be able to do something like that again.. it's always great to get a chance to meet everyone.

Steve Clardy
09-19-2008, 1:36 PM
Steve,
I seem to remember you being famous for getting gravy on your shirt or something like that... ;).

Oh ya. I gotta do that every year. Tradition I guess. :eek::o:p:D

Either that or insert foot-in-mouth :rolleyes::D:D