PDA

View Full Version : Marble sealing??

Sylvia Mossbrucker
09-17-2008, 2:47 PM
:confused: I am in need of suggestions for sealing MARBLE for outside use. I can not use granite in this instance and am not sure how marble holds up in the elements. Has anyone put marble outside and have the details on how it has worked for them? Can anyone tell me what to use to seal the marble so it CAN be used outside with little or no damage to the material and image?

Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks HEAPS AND BUNCHES!!!:confused:

Belinda Barfield
09-17-2008, 4:37 PM
Sylvia,

I'm certain you will get a differing opinion on this, but my 0.02. There isn't anything you can treat marble with that will allow it to withstand the elements long term. If you are in an area with acid rain the surface will be destroyed in a fairly short period of time. Marble is highly susceptible to cracking with freeze/thaw cycles.

That being said, hopefully someone will prove me wrong. :)

Bill Cunningham
09-21-2008, 9:54 PM
Marble is not really for out door use.. Ya I know the ancient Greeks have tons of it just standing around.. But... Acid rain is the enemy of marble.. As a matter of fact, the best way to identify marble from other stone, is to put a drop of acid on the back (unfinished side) you will see a very quick bit of bubbling as the surface powder dissolves in the acid.. If you get any on the polished face and try to wipe it off, it will chalk over, and although you can rub off the 'white' the surface will be permanently etched.. I have a piece of black marble in my shop, that has a hand print on it because the guy that picked it up just finished eating a orange and the citric acid has marred the surface.. Marble is for indoors, and granite for outdoors.. Granite is not affected by acid and can be simply wiped off the surface.. The 'acid test' is the best way to tell the difference between the two..