PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite Spirit Bottle

Richard Madison
09-17-2008, 2:47 PM
Mesquite Spirit Bottle with Stopper

Evil spirits in the house like to hide in small spaces, and will get into the Spirit Bottle through the void in the side. Being clumsy, they are unable to escape back through the opening, and become trapped in the bottle. Good spirits prefer to be out in the open, and will never enter the bottle. From time to time one should carry the Spirit Bottle outdoors and remove the stopper. The evil spirits will leave the bottle and simply dissolve into the sky, never to return.

Mesquite, #7 rubber stopper, 3-1/2 x 4-1/2, 3/16" walls, not a great turning but thought you might enjoy the story behind it.

robert hainstock
09-17-2008, 2:59 PM
I'd like to know the size and finish. It is a very nice bottle, and it comes with instant provenance. Cool! :):)
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
09-17-2008, 5:30 PM
Goodl looking piece out of some great wood.

Richard Madison
09-17-2008, 7:40 PM
Bob,
Dimensions are in the original post, and the finish is just a couple coats of wipe on lacquer based sanding sealer. Fast, easy, and inexpensive. May buff it in a few days, which will give it what I call a soft gloss. I like this finish on mesquite, but another way of course is to build a solid lacquer finish, wet sand level, and buff to a glassy finish. Lots more work that way, but looks great on some things. The opening for the #7 stopper is 1-1/4" dia.

Thanks Bernie.

Steve Schlumpf
09-17-2008, 8:01 PM
Richard - nice looking HF, love the story! I can see these selling like hot cakes as long as you had the printed story there to go with them! People love stories! Nice work - great imagination! Thanks for posting!

Bill Arnold
09-17-2008, 8:46 PM
Richard,

Nice looking bottle and great story to go with it!

By the way, I'm experiencing serious pangs of jealousy. You live in a little corner of heaven as far as I'm concerned. I lived in New Braunfels for seven years, visited Wimberly occasionally and always enjoyed that area of the State.

:)

Richard Madison
09-17-2008, 8:49 PM
Thanks Steve. May run this past my gallery lady next week and see if she likes it (with the story). Will need to determine how to display the story with the piece.

Steve Schlumpf
09-17-2008, 8:56 PM
Richard - I'd have that story written up in old script English, whimsical style and let everyone's imagination take it from there! Lot's of luck with it - should work great!

Richard Madison
09-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks Bill.

I was somewhat reluctant to move here (my wife's idea), but it has worked well for both of us.

Gregg Feldstone
09-18-2008, 3:42 AM
Wimberly's no longer a dry town. There's more spirits there now than before so yer bottle should come in handy.