PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw TuneUp

Keith Starosta
05-11-2004, 8:54 AM
Since inheriting the contents of my Dad's workshop last June, the one tool that I haven't used at all is the 14" Delta bandsaw. On the outside, it looks to be in great shape, and I know it's not more than five years old. He used it, but sparringly. So this past weekend, I grabbed a scrap piece of pine and cranked up the saw.

It was at that point that LOML came out to the shop to make sure I wasn't sawing up the cat, because this thing let out a screeching howl like I've not heard in a while. Once up and running, it quieted down a bit, but it was still very loud. I'm assuming it just needs a good tune-up. So, my question is, what should I do to take care of this bandsaw. It's the only one I have (and WILL have for quiet a while), so I want to get her humming. Thanks!!

Keith

Tyler Howell
05-11-2004, 9:45 AM
Level, clean, wheel alignment, lube the spiny stuff if not sealed. Good (Timberwolf blades:D ). Belt tension and alignment on the motor.
Release the tension on the blades when not in use. If it has been sitting unused for a while with tension on the blades, new tires may be in order. Check it out. I'm sure there is much more. But this will get you started.
That cat sound may be the blade guard if it isn't just right. I always like some good BS, and love to spread it around.:p

Steven Wilson
05-11-2004, 9:46 AM
Get the Bandsaw Book (Mark Duginske) and the Itura Designs catalog (search the creek for the phone number). Between both of those resources you'll be able to get your 14" Delta tuned up and running smooth. As for the noise, the belt might be squeeking; adjusting the belt tension and applying some dressing should fix that up.

Daniel Rabinovitz
05-11-2004, 11:58 AM
Keith
My very suggestion!
Lou Iturra at Iturra Design - the utmost authority of the 14" bandsaw.
Call him and get his catalog 888-722-7078
Address 4636 Fulton RD, Jacksonville, FL 32225
Daniel :confused:

Keith Starosta
05-11-2004, 12:16 PM
Keith
My very suggestion!
Lou Iturra at Iturra Design - the utmost authority of the 14" bandsaw.
Call him and get his catalog 888-722-7078
Address 4636 Fulton RD, Jacksonville, FL 32225
Daniel :confused:

Good deal! Thanks for the comments, guys. I just got off the phone with a nice lady who is going to send me the new Iturra catalog. Hopefully this will help!

Keith

James Carmichael
05-11-2004, 2:56 PM
Thanks for the info.

Another timely post as I just picked up the Ridgid 14" on clearance at HD and have yet to set it up. My copy of the BS book (which I could have written that myself) came yesterday.

Keith,

You guys don't have a cat, I hope?

Tyler Howell
05-11-2004, 3:11 PM
Thanks for the info.

You guys don't have a cat, I hope?
Not anymore!

Dan Stuewe
05-11-2004, 3:16 PM
I requested an Itura catalog about a month ago and haven't seen it yet. Is that typical or should I call again?

Tyler Howell
05-11-2004, 4:05 PM
I requested an Itura catalog about a month ago and haven't seen it yet. Is that typical or should I call again?
Talked to Lou today. Said they were going out today:rolleyes:

Byron Trantham
05-11-2004, 5:06 PM
I ordered mine again. Ordered one about two months ago and forgot about it. Tyler, if I don't get mine you can mail me yours! :p

Chris Padilla
05-11-2004, 5:17 PM
I think Iturra ran out of catalogs and are printing more up. I ordered one about a week ago and the nice lady said to just be patient about receiving one.

Tyler Howell
05-11-2004, 5:41 PM
[QUOTE=Byron Trantham]I ordered mine again. Ordered one about two months ago and forgot about it. Tyler, if I don't get mine you can mail me yours! :p

I requested one about the time of the big flurry (2mo) then again about a month ago with an order sight unseen based on info from Dan.:(
As I said I called and talked to Lou today???
Now here's a Guy who could reap big bennies from a Web sight and on line shopping.:cool:
I hear tell others have tried to push, drag and prod him onto the internet highway!!! :(

Robert Ducharme
05-11-2004, 6:08 PM
I do have the catalog. If something is purchased, they send the catalog with the purchase over sending catalogs to people just requesting it. This way their clients have higher priority. I expect that they are pretty busy and it is hard to keep that catalog in stock. From the dates on it, it seems to be updated every several months and is about 1/2" thick.

Agree they really need to get the web stuff going - would reduce their cost and make it easier to get new customers. :(

Chris Padilla
05-11-2004, 8:09 PM
Okay, fine. What is the item# for the blade tensioner gauge that everyone fusses over? I'll just call them and order it and get my damn catalog that way!! Hrmph!! :mad:

;)

Daniel Rabinovitz
05-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Chris
Item # 10022 Blade Tensioning Gage (Blade Gage) $135.00
The price made not be accurate as I have an older catalog.
Daniel :D
As per usual - I bought one for my son-in-law for his birthday and I don't own one. :confused:

David Rose
05-13-2004, 4:50 AM
Also try backing off the rear support bearing. I don't remember the proper name but it is the bearing that runs at a right angle to the blade and stops it from moving back as pressure is applied to the blade cutting edge. Mine is starting to squall a little. If the squalling quits when the bearing doesn't contact, you need to replace it. It is not expensive. I need to order the Itura catalog, but... Online is sooooooo much easier!

David