PDA

View Full Version : New TS, Jet JWTS-10, 708100

Bill Huber
09-17-2008, 1:07 PM
I have been looking for a used JWTS-10 for awhile now and all I have been able to find were the older models with the motor hanging out the back.
So I just order one and it came in last week, I just did make the order before the price hike and with free shipping from Amazon it was not to bad, $545 at the door.

I wanted this saw because the motor is inside the cabinet and would save some space. The other thing is weight, it is lighter then a cabinet saw and I don't want to put over 300 lb. on the floor of my little shop.

Anyway, some comments on the saw.

The first thing is the stand, they did not use lock washers on any of the bolts in the stand, I added them I just really feel they are needed.

It does have 2 wheels on it but I am going to take them off and just use a mobile base like I use on my other tools. The why it is set up on the Jet you have to lift the saw up on one side to roll it around, I like the one wheel in front an 2 in back.

Well the fence is a joke, I had read this on the net about the saw and I will have to agree with those comments. It is just not real smooth and and there are no T slots or anything else to connect items to it. So the stock fence is coming off and I will be putting my Mule Accusquare Fence on from my old saw.

The miter gauge is nice and has built in adjustable stops, but its not as nice as my EB-3 or the V27 so I will be finding it a good home somewhere.

I did get the stamped extension but have 2 cast iron ones waiting for me to go pick up, they are from an old Craftsman and should work just fine on this saw. They do not have the different configurations on this saw like they have had in the past. It looks like they have move all the configurations over to the Powermatic line.

So now the saw is all together and I set the blade to miter slot which was off by a bunch, it was no problem getting it set, I use the Super Bar and Plate and in no time it was spot on.

So now it is time to turn it on and see how it works...... So I flip the switch and off it goes. The saw is vibrating like mad, I shut it off, something had to be wrong, the blade must be bad or something.

Took the blade off and then tried it again, same thing I could have use the saw to mix paint.

I pulled the main drive belt off and at that point I could see the problem, the belt had a set in it like I have never seen in a belt. It is like they put the belt on as tight as they could and then heated to until it set to the new shape. Replaced it with the link belt from the old saw and then tried it again, smooth as it could be.

So now that it is up and running smooth I really think I am going to like it a lot. The DC is nice, I hooked the shop vac to it and it worked very well on a bunch of pine I cut for testing.

I have install a Freud 40T Premier Fusion blade and it cuts like a champ. I had a block or 8/4 hard maple scrap and it cut it very well with little effort.

I do think for the money and it is now $675 they could put a better fence on it and add some lock washers to the hardware pack.

All in all I think it will last me as long as I am around and then my son can have it.

scott spencer
09-17-2008, 3:19 PM
Nice write up Bill. I much prefer to read the good with the bad. I'd love to see pics of the final setup when you have the new fence, wings, and mobile base installed. You might be able to sell that stock fence to offset some costs.

Congrats and enjoy!

Bill Huber
09-17-2008, 5:10 PM
Nice write up Bill. I much prefer to read the good with the bad. I'd love to see pics of the final setup when you have the new fence, wings, and mobile base installed. You might be able to sell that stock fence to offset some costs.

Congrats and enjoy!

I may try and sell the fence, cheap....

Until I get the old fence off and reinstalled I am using it and it is bad, you have to really watch it or you can lock it down not square to the blade.

Phil Thien
09-17-2008, 8:59 PM
I was going to buy one of these when they were first introduced. You could find them for $400 back then. Then Jet woke up and realized, "hey, this is a hybrid saw, why are we selling it so cheap?"

Anyway, I am surprised your link belt worked, I thought these used those rubber belts.

Good luck with the saw, I look forward to reading an update after you've use it for a while.

Bill Huber
09-17-2008, 10:35 PM
I was going to buy one of these when they were first introduced. You could find them for $400 back then. Then Jet woke up and realized, "hey, this is a hybrid saw, why are we selling it so cheap?"

Anyway, I am surprised your link belt worked, I thought these used those rubber belts.

Good luck with the saw, I look forward to reading an update after you've use it for a while.

What gets me is they only have one model now, in the past they had one with better fences, cast iron extensions, and different fence lengths.

When you look at the Powermatic line they have a saw somewhat like it and they have many different setups.

John Thompson
09-18-2008, 12:10 AM
Enjoy Bill... a better fence upgrade when feasible and you should be set for a long time.

Congrats on the purchase and nice read on your ordeal getting it up and running.

Sarge..