PDA

View Full Version : Epilog FiberMark + Rubber = Excellent Results

Bryan Cowan
09-17-2008, 11:23 AM
Our water heater here at work blew the other day and we needed to replace it along with several unusual sized rubber gaskets. Our maintenance man tried locating the correct size gasket, but came up empty handed. He brought back a few sheets (1/4" thick) of rubber that he was going to cut by hand. Before I could let him do that, I wanted to see if our Epilog FiberMark laser could cut through it.

I made a drawing in Corel, adjusted the vector settings to 10% Speed, 100% Power, 20% Frequency, and +.080 Focus, and voila!

After approximately 10 to 15 passes, we had our gaskets. :D

Add that to the list Peck :cool:

Peck Sidara
09-17-2008, 5:51 PM
Thanks for the info Bryan. We'll note it for future apps.

10-15 passes is a direct cause of the different wavelength of light the FM produces compared to the C02. On a C02, only one pass is needed.

Similar to using a C02 for marking directly onto bare metals, the FM isn't ideal for cutting rubber but both applications will work for those who have the patience.

Bryan Cowan
09-17-2008, 7:17 PM
Thanks for the info Bryan. We'll note it for future apps.

10-15 passes is a direct cause of the different wavelength of light the FM produces compared to the C02. On a C02, only one pass is needed.

Similar to using a C02 for marking directly onto bare metals, the FM isn't ideal for cutting rubber but both applications will work for those who have the patience.

The lead time for correct size gaskets was 4 weeks :eek: We didn't mind the 10 minutes of cutting :D

Josh Jackson
03-13-2016, 3:52 PM
Mr. Cowan,

What was the power on your FiberMark for this? I ask since I have the 30W and the FiberMarks are so picky

Scott Shepherd
03-13-2016, 5:48 PM
Josh, you do realize this was posted 6 years ago, right? Bryan hasn't even logged in for over a year.