PDA

View Full Version : Rikon Bandsaw Purchase

Anthony Whitesell
09-17-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm debating the purchase of a Rikon 10-325 bandsaw (vs. Grizzly G0555X with riser). I noticed the blade size on the Rikon is different (longer) than the other 14" saws with risers. Is it just me, or are there fewer places to purchase accessories and blades for the Rikon bandsaws. The third party accessories and upgrades don't seem to be as prevalent.

If you own a Rikon, has this been an issue?

Would this be a show stopper and encourage the purchase of another saw?

Gary Venable
09-17-2008, 11:42 AM
I recently got a Rikon 10-325 and I have not had any issue finding blades. Locally I can get them from Woodcraft or I can get them from many sources online.

Dave Sweeney
09-17-2008, 1:04 PM
You need not worry about finding blades to fit the Rikon. Most anywhere you can purchase blades over the Internet should be able to provide them. As Gary stated, locally, if you have one nearby, Woodcraft stocks them.

Peter Quadarella
09-17-2008, 1:07 PM
Pretty much all the major blade manufacturers sell by the inch and give you any size you want. So, you may not be able to pick them up off the shelf but you can always order them.

Peter Quadarella
09-17-2008, 1:09 PM
By the way, for the cost of the Rikon, I would be looking at the 17" Grizzlys (the G0513 and G0513X2).

Anthony Whitesell
09-17-2008, 1:22 PM
By the way, for the cost of the Rikon, I would be looking at the 17" Grizzlys (the G0513 and G0513X2).

I did. But they all run on 220V, which I don't have access to.

Deck Reagan
09-17-2008, 2:12 PM
I just bought a Rikon. GREAT saw for the money. Very heavy duty. You won't be disappointed.

deck

Peter Quadarella
09-17-2008, 2:55 PM
They are relatively easy to re-wire. Diagrams are included and Grizzly tech support I'm sure would help. Just a thought, don't mean to be pushy ;).

I have no experience with Rikon, but from looking at them at IWF and in my local Woodcraft, I don't believe they are worth a premium over Grizzly. That said, I have heard great things about their bandsaws so perhaps I am incorrect regarding those tools.

Robert Strebler
09-17-2008, 3:39 PM
I did. But they all run on 220V, which I don't have access to.

Actually, the g0513 series can run on 110 or 220. I have my g0513x2 wired up on a 20A 110 circuit and have never tripped the breaker (although it's the only thing running on that circuit.)

Anthony Whitesell
09-17-2008, 10:13 PM
I wasn't taking it as pushy. I had the choices narrowed down to the PM or Grizzly and the PM price went up, up, and away. I took a look at the Grizzly 17" saws. They actually have slightly less resaw height, but do have wider cut and a 1/2HP more. I like what I see with the G0513X2 but not sure I can justify the extra $200 to my door ($850 vs. $1050), which is already $400 more than the G0555X.

It's been a tough debate PM, Grizzly, or Rikon. Rikon was out until the PM price increases, not the PM is out and the Rikon is in. Because I'm going to buy the riser and install it immediately, I can justify the Rikon a little easier.

Brian Clevenger
09-17-2008, 11:27 PM
I just don't like the modern "C" frame band saws with a riser kit. I honestly question their ability to keep from flexing with proper tension on a 1/2" resaw blade.

Anthony Whitesell
09-18-2008, 8:34 AM
DITTO, on that Brian. Many people have re-assured me that they have had no problem tensioning 1/2" and/or even 3/4" blades on the C-frame saws with the riser. But I'm a still a little weary. :confused:

My thought with the Grizzly, and more so with the Rikon because the riser is "included", is that they come with all the bells and whistles installed by the factory. If one was to purchase a low end Delta or Jet and then buy all the bells and whistles to equal the Grizzly then you will spend just as much. Plus, you have to put in the time to attach and setup the accessories in addition to paying shipping. I think I'd rather have the factory do it for me and save some of the aggravation. :p

P.S. In saying that, I forgot to include the riser block in my previous post. That puts $100 difference between the Grizzly and the Rikon. I can deal with that. Has anyone heard if Woodcraft is going to be having another 10% off power tool sale? That would make the difference ~$20 plus the cost of the speeding ticket to get there. :eek:

Dave Sweeney
09-18-2008, 10:08 AM
If memory serves me correctly, Woodcraft had a 10% off sale in April and July of this year. If that pattern holds, there could be one coming up next month.

When I was close to pulling the trigger on my Rikon 10-325 in June, I asked the store manager if there were any sales coming up. He told me about the upcoming July 10% off sale so I was going to put off buying one until then. When I asked if they wanted to pre-sell one for the upcoming sale price he said sure, so I ended up with the sale price a month early.

Barry Vabeach
09-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Anthony, I was in the same position as you a few months ago in looking at the Rikon - though I was comparing it to the Grizzly 17 base model which was about the same price. While the Rikon had great reviews, most posters also say great things about the Grizzly bandsaws especially in the last few years. If you check ebay - you should see a G0513x2 for $895 buy it now plus shipping which puts it within $100 of the Rikon at Woodcraft ( less depending on your sales taxes) The Grizzly G0513x2 gives you 17 inch wheels, versus 14, which I would guess would be gentler on the blades, a 2 hp motor, and 400 pounds v. 261 for the Rikon, with a 16 inch rip. capacity. The only tradeoffs are you lose the rikon's light, and a slightly lower resaw - though how often do you expect to resaw a peice over 12 inches but less than 13. I checked live search but couldn't find any cash back on the ebay buy it now - If you could, that would make it a no brainer in my opinion. BTW, I got the Grizzly GO513x2 and love it. There is a new model coming out soon that has a foot brake - but that would add to the price I would guess. The good news, is either way you go you will end up with a great saw.

Anthony Whitesell
09-18-2008, 10:52 AM
I wonder why the Grizzly G0513X2 is cheaper on eBay than direct. The same doesn't hold true for the G0513 and G0555X, they are the same price. :confused:

I noticed the G0457 on the Grizzly website. Solid frame, 14" saw, 2HP motor, 106" blade, but only 10" height. :mad: $922 to the door but I don't think the 1/2HP and 3" height reduction is worth it.

If Grizzly doesn't change the price on the eBay listing, I may roll the dice and try for the Microsoft cash back to get it back in my price range. Might as well get the bigger saw for the same price. :D

Chris Holder
09-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Anthony,

I was in the same situation you were in a month ago. I heard all the great reviews of the Rikon, but had little experience with them and also had heard great things about Grizzly saws as of late. I ultimately decided to go with a G0513X2, due to the limited difference in price, and that I felt I was getting "more saw for the money." It has been perfect thus far, and arrived from Grizzly nothing short of immaculate. I would recommend it to anyone.

Dave Avery
09-21-2008, 9:19 AM
I wonder why the Grizzly G0513X2 is cheaper on eBay than direct. The same doesn't hold true for the G0513 and G0555X, they are the same price. :confused:

I noticed the G0457 on the Grizzly website. Solid frame, 14" saw, 2HP motor, 106" blade, but only 10" height. :mad: $922 to the door but I don't think the 1/2HP and 3" height reduction is worth it.

If Grizzly doesn't change the price on the eBay listing, I may roll the dice and try for the Microsoft cash back to get it back in my price range. Might as well get the bigger saw for the same price. :D

Anthony,

That's exactly what I did - worked out fine buying through E-Bay.....

Anthony Whitesell
09-21-2008, 2:26 PM
Now if I could only figure out how to get the Microsoft Cash Back to work.

Peter Quadarella
09-21-2008, 4:01 PM
Anthony, as far as I know you just go to the Microsoft Live search page, search for anything common and then follow an ebay advertisment link to ebay. Once there anything purchased using Buy Now is eligible.