PDA

View Full Version : new friend

Tony Wheeler
09-17-2008, 9:41 AM
I got the chance to spend three days with Jimmy Clewes last weekend what a great person, teacher. The first day was demos and then two days of hands on learning and learning I did more in two days then in two years. I never thought that I could take cuts and make then light whrispe cuts that you cough and blow the shaving across the room. Not only a learning experience but a new freind made. He is like you have known him for years never once did I get the feeling that he is above you and only showing how good he is but how good he can help you be. anybody that gets a chance to see him demo or a hands on leaning experience should grab it new turner or old. I think I will post pictures of the project that I made while with Jimmy later.

Mike Peace
09-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Sounds like you had a great time.

Jimmy is doing a demo for our club next week following his participation in Turning Southern Style Symposium at Helen, GA this weekend. Looks like I have something to look forward to.

Steve Schlumpf
09-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Congrats Tony on both the class and making a new friend! Sounds like it was quite the experience! Looking forward to seeing the project!

Bernie Weishapl
09-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Congrats Tony. I met Jimmy and he is everything you say he is. Great guy and sounds like fun was had by all.

Rick Mills
09-17-2008, 6:36 PM
Jimmy did a demo at our club a few months ago it was awesome, I bought and since watched all his DVD's a number of times.

Parker Nicholson
09-18-2008, 1:51 PM
That place looks kinda familiar!:D Wish I could have attanded.

Pete Jordan
09-18-2008, 1:59 PM
Jimmy is one of my heroes. I have 3 of his DVD's and I hope he gets close enough to MI so I can watch or take lessons from.

Steve Trauthwein
09-19-2008, 7:43 AM
I also attended the class in KC that Tony was in, I agree with his assessment of Jimmy. A great instructor and totally free of arrogance. The micro grind that he put on my 3/8" bowl gouge, and use of the same, was worth the price of the class. First time I turned at 3200 rpm's, but the ol' powermatic is getting cranked up now.

I highly recommend his class.

Regards, Steve

Tony Wheeler
09-19-2008, 9:16 AM
hey Steve nice to up your face to a name was with an creeker and did not know it well I will know next time Iam still amazed over your fly rods Tony

Ken Fitzgerald
09-19-2008, 9:48 AM
I am jealous!