PDA

View Full Version : How to get special Characters in Fonts

Arturo Villegas
09-17-2008, 2:34 AM
Hello,

I loaded a CD with a few hundered different kind of fonts onto my computer, but the problems is that in lots of these fonts special characters (%$#@!) are not coming up. Is this common or is there something I got to do lo load these characters?

Thanks a lot,

Art.

Frank Corker
09-17-2008, 5:28 AM
There is a part of windows that already has that built in - it's called Character mapping and you should find it under system tools or alternatively if you click on the 'Start' go to 'Run' and paste this in

%SystemRoot%\system32\charmap.exe

it will bring it up for you.

Dan Hintz
09-17-2008, 8:39 AM
Where did these fonts come from? A lot of the low-cost or "homemade" fonts will not include those characters. they take time to create, so quite a few artists (authors, whatever you wish to call them) will only include uppercase, lowercase, and sometimes numbers in the font.

Mike Null
09-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Arturo

Unless you put those new fonts in a separate folder you may notice a slow down of your computer.

Arturo Villegas
09-18-2008, 1:47 AM
I did notice my computer being slower with all the hundereds of fonts I installed. I got them from here :

http://www.fontfreak.com/main.htm

They dont appear in the character mapping chart. Thanks frank anyways. Dan is right, they havent been drawn in yet. I got a lot cleaning up to do now.

Thanks again,

Mike Null
09-18-2008, 6:19 AM
Arturo

Take a look at this tutorial by Foster Coburn on font management.

http://www.unleash.com/articles/fonts/fontmanage.html

Brian Robison
09-18-2008, 3:27 PM
Mike, when it come to great information, your full of it!:eek:
I mean, Mike your full of good information, yeah, that sounded better.:D

Arturo Villegas
09-18-2008, 9:52 PM
I had it all wrong.

Thanks for the great info.

Thats really helpful.

Mike Null
09-19-2008, 6:44 AM
Brian

"Mike, you're full of it".
I doubt this will come as a surprise but you are not the first to mention it.