PDA

View Full Version : New tail vise

Ron Brese
09-16-2008, 10:05 PM
I just found out about this new tail vise from Benchcrafted. It's looks pretty interesting and quite solid.

www.benchcrafted.com/vises.htm

Ron

Alan DuBoff
09-17-2008, 1:57 AM
Ron,

This is a great vise, and the bench it went on, well...not too much more can be said about it that has not been said already...Jameel really went all out on that puppy, that's the ultimate twin-screw.

The tail vise is really exceptional, but like all exceptional things, comes with a price tag...sure looks like a nice setup, reminds me of the handwheels that were on the Studley bench...

Ron Brese
09-18-2008, 4:50 PM
Alan,

I have been processing parts for a silver chest stand today and I was amazed at how many times I noted where the hand wheel on Jameel's vise would have been an advantage over a standard handle. The standard handle on my vise was actually in my way in several instances and made me actually have to change my stance and move out of it's way, this would not have happened with the hand wheel.

Jameel's vise certainly addresses a lot of the problems we've encounter with the hardware that's been available up to this point and when one takes into consideration the build quality on this vise it certainly will get my consideration when I decide to build a new top for my old bench.

Ron

Dave Anderson NH
09-18-2008, 7:44 PM
I looked at this vise a few days ago as an alternative to the more common wagon vise designs. It is beautifully made and most probably easy to install, but oh is it a dear price. This is not to criticize the price, I certainly know how expensive it is to do low quantity production and I'm sure Ron does too.:D:D Since my new bench will have a wooden screw twin screw vise and an Emmert K1, I decided to just go with the 2 vises to make things easier and to save a few bucks. I've had a 1 vise bench for 20 years and have managed pretty well by using some of Sam Allen's ideas.

Alan DuBoff
09-18-2008, 9:37 PM
Since my new bench will have a wooden screw twin screw vise and an Emmert K1Oh, do tell more!

I have a bench I built with a veritas twin-screw and an emmert clone. I just love the setup, although I have considered going with wooden screws for the twin, the LV has some advantages also and I decided to stick with it for now...we'll see over the long haul, how I feel.

Curious how you will mount your vises, I have my pattern makers vise as the tail vise, and so far it's working out great (similar location to Maloof's bench).

Mine is almost done, but one of those endless projects...I get side tracked using it...:rolleyes:

I've thought about something like this tail vise Jameel created, but I would loose a lot of functionality that the pattern makers vise provides, as it's in the position I would need to put this vise.

Dave Anderson NH
09-19-2008, 9:54 AM
Hi Alan, The bench is under construction now and will be built left handed with the wooden twin screw face vise on the right hand end. I ordered the Classic style ash screws from Joe Comunale Monday and should see them in 3-4 weeks. The vise will be 24" between the screws so that it will hold large carcass pieces. I plan to have a sliding board jack to the left of it.

The placement of the 18" wide Emmert K1 is still up in the air. Like you, Chris Schwarz recommended that I use it as a tail vise in one of our conversations up at Lie-Nielsen last year. The alternate idea for placement is on the opposite side of the bench also at the right hand end. My bench is away from the wall and accessible from all 4 sides. I find it is a lot more useful that way.

Steve Clardy
09-19-2008, 1:30 PM
Very interesting vise. Hmmmm

John Schreiber
09-19-2008, 1:51 PM
That's a beauty, both in appearance and design. Low quantity with high quality and innovation does not lead to low cost. Unfortunately, that puts it well out of my reach. I think the hand wheel is a great idea too. Yes, like the Studley bench.

Rob Lee had mentioned that Lee Valley would be coming out with new end vise hardware soon. I wonder what it will be like. My guess is that it will be a more traditional tail vise incorporating some kind of foot control for holding and/or releasing.

Alan DuBoff
09-19-2008, 4:03 PM
For those not familiar with the Studley bench, you can see it at this link (http://books.google.com/books?id=pks1lGO6zvYC&pg=PA167&lpg=PA167&dq=studley+workbench&source=web&ots=Wyu97wn9ys&sig=tRBDQEGe-YH9KfnAIoC5qrTNSTs&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result). I believe they are known as piano vises, at least I have heard them referred to that by a machinist friend of mine.

I am only putting a link here, as it is copyrighted information from The Workbench book, by Lon Schleining. Once I posted some info from that book and on another forum, a less than considerate person almost had a baby.

Handwheels are really something machinists use, and they do not produce the type of torque that a t-handle would, Jameel also notes that. But they appear to produce plenty of torque for this particular application. I think part of that has to do with the inertia of whirling the screw up to speed to allow that...looks like a smooth mechanism.

I have to admit that the double leg vise twin-screw setup is much more impressive to me. Jameels bench is a high standard to equal, by anyone. The workmanship on the end vise just adds a bit more to it. A job well worth commending! :cool:

Dave,

In regard to using the emmert as an end vise, I think it's something you need to decide for yourself. I can't see myself being without it, now that I have it. I have never used a vise that is so functional, albeit it is not without problems, the minor ones presented are nothing that offset the advantages for me. Anyone telling you these vises are overkill that doesn't own one, should have their comments taken with a grain of salt, a huge grain at that! In seeing the work you do Dave, it will be indespensible for you. At least it is for me in doing handles and non-flat things, the flexibility is so incredible I am still amazed for uses I find for it. I don't use mine as a face vise, as most do, but it is interesting to note that Maloof's bench is what convinced me to go with it as an end vise. I have the twin-screw for a face vise, and it is excellent in itself. :)

Chris Schwarz didn't try to talk me out of using it, but he did seem skeptical of having it as I do...but I also pointed out to him that Maloof has his in the same position, and it works for him. The mechanism is so much smoother than my LV quick release vise, I don't see it as being a problem as a traditional end vise (the Tucker would be a better solution as it has quick release, but at a price), although those dog holes do not exist on my bench yet...:o I use this bench all the time, and love it, and wouldn't be without the pattern maker's vise on the end. To me it totally makes sense in how it is positioned in relation to the front of the bench where I'm doing work most of the time, but I can move off to the side as Maloof does with his as well. It's all goodness for me.