PDA

View Full Version : Anything in Franklin, MA to see/do?

Matt Ocel
09-16-2008, 9:58 PM
I have to go out there in early Oct to get certified for overhead track and sling installation.
Gotta get there a day early and don't want to waste time sitting in a hotel room.

JohnT Fitzgerald
09-16-2008, 10:12 PM
In Franklin? hmmm, not sure - there are some 'touristy' places like some museums etc near there I think - I can check and get back to you. it's about 30 mi outside of Boston, so not sure how easy it is to spend time there. There's some great apple picking in the area - not sure you you'd get it back to MN though ;) Providence is maybe a half hour ride to the south, and Cape Cod is a solid hour from there. what would you normally like to do - a good meal? see a ball game? museum? walk around town?

**edited** I assume you'll have a car - how far would you want to drive to spend the day?

Bob Rufener
09-16-2008, 11:12 PM
If you enjoy history at all, there is lots to see in the Boston area. Freedom trail in Boston. Lexington and Concord. John Adam's houses. Plymouth Rock among others.

A word of caution. I wouldn't advise driving in Boston unless you have a good GPS and are willing to take your life in your hands.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-17-2008, 8:50 AM
A word of caution. I wouldn't advise driving in Boston unless you have a good GPS and are willing to take your life in your hands.

Oh C'mon Boston's not that bad. Along Commonwealth ave all the streets are alphabetical.
Only in the down town around the park does it get weird and screwy. The streets are however crowded and the main roads leading into town are goofy. At least at rush hour they are goofy

Glenn Clabo
09-17-2008, 9:10 AM
You're about 45 mins from Sturbridge...
http://www.osv.org/collections/collection_list.php?SG=42&G=16&A=BI

Also...Boston is one of my favorite cities. I think you can take the T in from Franklin. It's known as the walking city...becasue you can walk most of it in a day.

JohnT Fitzgerald
09-17-2008, 10:05 AM
Sturbridge is an EXCELLENT suggestion!

and there is a commuter rail station in Franklin - it would take you right into South Station, I believe. from there it's a short walk to almost anywhere (one of the nice things about Boston, IMO).

Don Abele
09-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Matt, I live 10 minutes from Franklin. There's not a whole lot out here that's worthy of your time.

The others have pointed out the most obvious - Sturbridge (about an hour west, straight down the pike), and Boston (best seen by foot and taking the Forge Park/495 commuter rail in).

I would have said come to the CONSTITUTION and I'd give you a great tour of the ship and woodshop as well, but I transfer to Virginia on October 1st. My family will still be here as we haven't sold the house yet (we're expecting them to probably be here into the summer).

Be well,

Doc

Matt Ocel
09-17-2008, 7:32 PM
How about a good resturant that serves New England clam chowder, Boston baked beans, Perhaps a Pub that serves a locally made Ale?
I like the classics.
I won't have a car, but I have no problem cabbing it anywhere,(business is paying) or a train, although never traveled on one before.
Sturbridge looks interesting.
Any classic architecture in the area? or any TOH projects either past or present to look at?

Don Abele
09-17-2008, 9:17 PM
How about a good resturant that serves New England clam chowder, Boston baked beans, Perhaps a Pub that serves a locally made Ale? I like the classics. I won't have a car, but I have no problem cabbing it anywhere,(business is paying) or a train, although never traveled on one before. Sturbridge looks interesting. Any classic architecture in the area? or any TOH projects either past or present to look at?

Matt, personally I think both New England clam chowder and Boston baked beans are way over-rated. So I couldn't tell you of any place that serves them around here. Now for a good locally made Ale...there's Picadilly Pub (http://www.picpub.com/) (837 West Central Street). They serve a local brew that's excellent. Prices are decent and portions are fairly large. I love their fish and chips.

As for architecture, the towns around here were mill towns for the most part and anything worth looking at is few and far between, though the ones that are special, truly are! As far as I know, TOH never did anything this far out.

Be well,

Doc