PDA

View Full Version : Knives for old AMT jointer

Dan Schocke
09-16-2008, 9:43 PM
I have an '80s vintage AMT jointer, and I'd like to find a new set of knives (or 3 or 4) for it. The knives measure 5 1/8" by 5/8" and are 1/16" thick. I haven't been able to find anyone that stocks knives in that size, so I'm wondering if I need to get some sets custom made? Anyone know where I can get knives for this jointer or a company that will make the custom size?

--Dan

Peter Quinn
09-16-2008, 10:10 PM
The place I get my blades and knives sharpened makes my jointer and planer knives as well. They cut them from Wisconsin Knife Works HHS stock, very good quality stuff. I use Connecticut Saw and Tool (http://ctsaw.com/). I don't know where you are located but any decent grinding shop should be able to fabricate knives for that machine to match your sizes. Not sure you will find that size off the shelf, but getting a set of knives made for a jointer is not complicated and costs me the same or less as stock knives, which are available for my machine.

Ridge carbide in New Jersey makes knives as well.

Dan Schocke
09-18-2008, 1:21 PM
Thanks for the info... Wisconsin Knife Works is only about 30 minutes north of where I live, so I'll try calling them directly.

--Dan