PDA

View Full Version : I could use some advice on a drum sander

Shannon Seelig
09-16-2008, 9:43 PM
I have an opportunity to buy a Ryobi 16/32 drum sander for 200.00 (maybe less)....I know, I know...Ryobi. It is built on a custom wood stand with rollers and the stand has 3 drawers filled with sanding rolls and other accessories. He is also including 2 electric hand sanders (unknown brands) and a drawer of sanding sheets to go with these sanders.

It was an older gentlemans that has passed away and his sons are selling his stuff because they don't use it. Should I pass this up and keep saving for a Jet??? I am not in a hurry to purchase anything, I just thought that if this is a good deal, I would grab it. I appreciate any and all comments and advice. Thanks in advance!

Steve Kohn
09-16-2008, 10:25 PM
Only you can decide if you need it, however what you described is a good deal. I just sold my Ryobi 16/32 for $300 with about 10 rolls of extra paper. I published on Craigslist at 9AM and the sander went out the door at 1PM.

I had been watching ebay and about 5 other Ryobi's went for between $275 and $375.

Cary Falk
09-17-2008, 4:02 AM
I have heard that the Ryobi is a well respected sander. That is a great price.

Kacey Zach
09-17-2008, 9:05 AM
I was also looking at this exact Ryobi Drum Sander. I will probably pass though, if it was closer I would jump on it.

Brad Knabel
09-17-2008, 11:03 AM
That's a good price. You should be able to get that much out of it if you decide to upgrade later. I think it's probably worth buying it now and then deciding whether to upgrade after you've had some time to use it.

Given what Steve said you may even be able to make a profit.

Good luck!

Scott Rollins
09-17-2008, 9:58 PM
I don't have the ryobi, but I do have the Performax 16-32. It is amazing to be able to flatten table top in 10-15 minutes. You will not regret having a drum sander! The only recommendation I would make is to buy a ammeter to watch your load so you can maximize the speed you work at and prevent the motor overload which requires you to start all over for 3 or three passes.