PDA

View Full Version : I need a turner...

Bill Huber
09-16-2008, 8:44 PM
I am not sure if this should be here or in the classifieds, so mods if this is the wrong place move it to where it needs to be.

When I was a kid, a long long time ago I had a dog pull toy and just about wore it out.
I found it in the attic of my dads house when we were cleaning it out last spring, it is not in really good shape so I am making a new one for my grand daughter.

I Have it all done but the wheels, I do not have a lathe or any way to turn them and I can not find a wheel online that will work. All the wheels I can find have a 1/4 in. hole in them and that is to big for my needs, I am trying to make it as close to my as I can.

So is there any one out there take could turn 4 of them for me, I will pay you and I can send you a wheel like what I need.

The wheel is 2 5/8 x about 1/2 inches. I don't need any hole in them just the plan wheel.

Here is a picture of the pull toy, this is not mine just one like it.

This is the wheels I need, front and back views.

97014 97015

Grant Wilkinson
09-16-2008, 8:57 PM
Bill: I'd be glad to help, but I'm in Canada and I expect that the shipping would kill this. Have you considered using a hole saw on a drill press?

Steve Schlumpf
09-16-2008, 9:25 PM
Bill, while I am sure there are many folks here who can help you out, I would like to suggest you check out the AAW turning club that is located in Ft. Worth. It's local and there are a lot of extremely talented turners there who would more than likely welcome the challenge. http://www.wntx.org/

Ken Fitzgerald
09-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Bill,

If you can't locate anyone in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, I'll turn them for you.

PM me if you want me to turn them Bill.

Payment...the next time I am in DFW area....the sweet tea is on you!

Richard Madison
09-16-2008, 11:33 PM
Bill,
I would turn them for you (just for the practice, no $$), but Steve's suggestion is the best.

Bill Huber
09-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Bill, while I am sure there are many folks here who can help you out, I would like to suggest you check out the AAW turning club that is located in Ft. Worth. It's local and there are a lot of extremely talented turners there who would more than likely welcome the challenge. http://www.wntx.org/

Steve, thanks for the idea and the link, I will be looking them up and see if someone in the group could turn them out for me...

Thanks again.

Bill Huber
09-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Bill,

If you can't locate anyone in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, I'll turn them for you.

PM me if you want me to turn them Bill.

Payment...the next time I am in DFW area....the sweet tea is on you!

If can't fine someone here I will let you know.

Now the next time you are in Fort Worth the lunch is on me.

Bill Huber
09-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Bill: I'd be glad to help, but I'm in Canada and I expect that the shipping would kill this. Have you considered using a hole saw on a drill press?

I guess I could take out the center bit and clamp the wood to the drill press and cut them that way, I will have to give that a shot.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-17-2008, 12:04 PM
If can't fine someone here I will let you know.

Now the next time you are in Fort Worth the lunch is on me.

And the sweet tea too? We can't get it here in Idaho.:rolleyes:

David Drickhamer
09-17-2008, 7:25 PM
Send me a detailed drawing or a sample wheel. I'll be happy to turn them for you.
Just tell me what wood to use.

jason lambert
09-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Using a circle cutter, a router table with a rabbiting bit and berring and some sort of safe jig to hold it you may be able to do the frount. Turing is the way to do it though and probably safer and faster.

Or how about cutting the circle then cutting where you want the inside to give a hard rige and then putting a screw and nut in it to mount in a drill and sanding away, you could even put it in a drill press and mount a block under it at the right angle with sandpaper and just sand that way, of course moving the block so it doesn't get clooged.