PDA

View Full Version : Puff balls

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-16-2008, 7:34 PM
Got a big 'un bout the size of a soft ball all white inside like it ought to be.

No clue how to cook it. Looks like it'll suck up butter like it was free.

Bonnie Campbell
09-16-2008, 7:42 PM
When I cook puff balls I slice them up thin if that big and fry them until almost crisp. First of course marinaded in flavors to your choosing ;)

Jim Becker
09-16-2008, 8:16 PM
Enquiring minds want to know...what is a "puff ball"...

Barry Stratton
09-16-2008, 9:22 PM

Its one of those big round cheese balls..........:D :rolleyes: :p

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-16-2008, 10:13 PM
'Tis a 'shroom laddy 'tis a 'shroom. They come out in the fall all white and pure and then the slugs have r their way with 'em and the well little things get all woogy.
So long as they aren't puffed inside they are edible. The dark ones are horrible or so I'm told.

Belinda Barfield
09-17-2008, 8:06 AM
'Tis a 'shroom laddy 'tis a 'shroom. They come out in the fall all white and pure and then the slugs have r their way with 'em and the well little things get all woogy.
So long as they aren't puffed inside they are edible. The dark ones are horrible or so I'm told.

Okay, now inquiring minds want to know . . .

What is "woogy"????

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-17-2008, 8:51 AM
Okay, now inquiring minds want to know . . .

What is "woogy"????

Well Woogy is that experience and sensation you get when you get BatSnoogy all over you.

Al Wasser
09-17-2008, 9:53 AM
When you find a good one, which is pretty hard to do, I just clean the outside, slice it into "steaks" about 1/2" thick and then fry it in butter. I have seen them as big as a basketball

Jamie Delker
09-17-2008, 10:50 AM
I used to see them all over the place, but I don't get out in the woods as often as I used to. I'd pick them for other people if I found one, but have never eaten one myself. Not a big fan o' the fungus.

Bob Rufener
09-17-2008, 11:10 AM
I usually cut them into about 1/2 inch "steak" slices, put them in some beaten egg batter. When coated with egg, coat with bread crumbs and pan fry in butter.

Russ Filtz
09-18-2008, 7:48 AM
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/Krustyboomer/worthless_thread_wo_pics.gif

Never tried or even seen puffs, but I used to like hunting morels. Those are also good breaded and fried in butter. Just like granny used to make!

Ed Labadie
09-18-2008, 7:54 AM
I usually cut them into about 1/2 inch "steak" slices, put them in some beaten egg batter. When coated with egg, coat with bread crumbs and pan fry in butter.

Yup, same here.

With the wet weather we've been having, they should be pretty plentifull this fall.......just might have to head to the woods tonight. :D

Ed

Ted Calver
09-18-2008, 12:27 PM
I lived in Italy for several years and the Italians were avid wild mushroom collectors. Sadly there were usually a couple of deaths each year from people eating misidentified mushrooms. I wonder if puffballs are unique, or are there some harmful ones that look alike?

larry merlau
09-18-2008, 12:41 PM

and the slugs and deer love them.

Jim Becker
09-18-2008, 1:38 PM
Oh, I saw one of those in the back yard when I was mowing the other day...'didn't know they were edible.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-18-2008, 2:11 PM
Oh, I saw one of those in the back yard when I was mowing the other day...'didn't know they were edible.
'
Yup every one.
Just get em before the innards go to dust.

The black ones are supposed to taste awful.

John Shuk
09-20-2008, 9:55 AM
I'm just too scared to go for it. I have tons of them every year.

Jim Becker
09-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Saw another one today...just before the tractor tire, umm...made it easier for the slugs to eat. LOL I truly didn't notice it until it was too late.

larry merlau
09-22-2008, 7:35 AM
I'm just too scared to go for it. I have tons of them every year.

get yourself a autboun book on mushrooms and they will tel ya all about them,, if you like mushrooms you will like puffballs..

Steve Clardy
09-23-2008, 4:59 PM
Saw another one today...just before the tractor tire, umm...made it easier for the slugs to eat. LOL I truly didn't notice it until it was too late.

OOPS!!!! :eek:

Well I guess the slugs probably appreciated it. :D

John Shuk
09-24-2008, 9:07 PM
Found 2 big ones today. Slugs have been at 'em but they were impressive.
That is a quarter on top of it for scale.
Cell phone camera so not a great pic.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-24-2008, 10:10 PM

Every puff ball is edible. So to every mushroom that grows on wood. Though a fair number of them are too woody to eat.