PDA

View Full Version : 1st Segmented Turning

Gerold Griffin
09-16-2008, 5:51 PM
This is not only my first segmented turning but also a number of firsts for me. 1st hollow form and 1st time on a lathe since high school and thats a mite over 30 years ago. Had a number of problems with it mainly busted thru the first feature ring and had to add two more segments to overcome the problem. This resulted in each ring being 8 segments with the feature rings having 10. Lesson Learned. Also didn't get the points aligned on the back side resulting in slightly misaligned points. Another Lesson Learned. The reason I'm posting this is the wife said I could get a new turning tool :D and was wondering how the Sorby multi tip hollowing tool would work on something like this. She gets the vase, I get a new turning tool, and the wood pile gets short changed. Anybody else see anything else wrong with the vase and be honest. If it was easy I'd quit and I'm already working on another.
Also a couple of projects done while the glue dried and thinking.

Doug Reesor
09-16-2008, 8:52 PM
Really cool job. I am very impressed with your first try in 30 years. What are the dimensions?

Doug

Gerold Griffin
09-16-2008, 9:56 PM
Thanks Doug. It stands about 12 1/2" tall, and if I remember right it has 208 pieces in it.

mreza Salav
09-16-2008, 10:42 PM
That looks great, and even better for a 1st try.
I'm a novice turner too myself, but appreciate all the work has gone into it.

Bernie Weishapl
09-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Great looking piece for a first. Well done.

Malcolm Tibbetts
09-17-2008, 1:14 AM
Gerold, I can tell you that my first segmented piece didn't look any where near that good. The joinery problems will quickly improve as you do more. Regarding the form (and this is personal preference), I'd lose the flared-out foot. You've got enough diameter without it to provide plenty of stability. The foot pulls the eye away from the vessel. Also, it's almost identical in size to the top rim, which usually does not look as good as two different sizes. I'm being picky - take it for what it's worth. Have fun, let's see more segmented work.

Gerold Griffin
09-17-2008, 5:25 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Malcom, thanks for the insperation. Your book really helped out. As for the joinery problems I think I got that worked out. I made the sanding jig you talked about in your book but still had some problems. Back when Katrina took a 10' roll up door to the other end of the shop I think it caught the sander. Think the problem is resolved but will find out soon enough. By the way you ain't picky, your honest, I'm the one who's picky!!!

Steve Schlumpf
09-17-2008, 9:12 AM
Gerold - I'm not a segmenter, so really have no idea of all the work that goes into one of these but I think your vase looks pretty good - especially for your first and also after such a delay in turning! Have fun with your next one - looking forward to seeing it!

Walt Nollan
09-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Nice work Gerold. Would not be able to know it was your first. The sorby multi tip tool can be used for this type of work. And will perform well. Maybe not the best but they work. I have and use them.

Walt