PDA

View Full Version : Spalted maple tall bowl and small vase

Josh Holden
09-16-2008, 5:29 PM
This bowl is 7" high by 5" wide (it's not as squat looking in person as in the pics). It's on the thick side, under 1/2", but with so many big cracks I didn't want to risk losing this piece of wood, even stabilized with CA. (It started out almost 10" tall...) All comments welcome -- I'm thick skinned and trying to get a better feel for form.

It was a lucky find -- I went to see what they had at the town compost facility, but there were no new trees. Not wanting to leave empty handed, I went to the pile where people dump rotten firewood and grabbed one plain looking log that wasn't too badly checked -- and this was inside.

And here's a small vase from the same log. Something about the form isn't quite right to me; is the "waist" too low?

Thanks,
Josh

James Ashburn
09-16-2008, 6:20 PM
I think they both look great. I really like the small vase.

charlie knighton
09-16-2008, 7:32 PM
Something about the form isn't quite right to me

it is a nice vase, to improve try to have a continous curve, you might get a french curve plastic piece in stationary dept at wally world, any time you get a straight line you are off the "established form" , if you intend to make a straight line in your form it is a design element :confused::eek::D

Bernie Weishapl
09-16-2008, 11:07 PM
Both look great along with some great looking wood.

Richard Madison
09-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Josh,
I like the vase too. Looks like a smooth curve to me, but can not be sure from the picture. When in doubt, I check by rolling a straight edge along the curve. It shows any flat spots easily.

Steve Schlumpf
09-17-2008, 9:09 AM
Josh - nice work on both pieces! Really like the wood! Vase looks fine but with my first glance I thought the mouth was a touch to wide for the size of the foot. That's strickly my observation and could very easily just be the angle of the photo.