PDA

View Full Version : Little/Mini Planes Que.

Stan Smith
05-10-2004, 10:25 PM
It seems like I work on small stuff a lot (pic frames, etc..) On DIY, I saw a show with a guy making mandolins, a luthier. He had a little finger plane that was really knocking off shavings pretty fast. My smallest plane is a 60 1/2. I've thought about this for a few years and was wondering why there were no little planes until I saw the luthier in action. How/where can I find out more? Thanks.

Stan

Tom Scott
05-11-2004, 1:58 PM
Stan,
Those are often called either finger planes, thumb planes, or in the case of Lee-Valley L-V Planes (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=32680&category=1,41182&ccurrency=1&SID=) , just instrument maker's planes. I don't have any since I've never had the need (what a twisted thought that is, eh?), so I can't help much with use.

BTW, I have really enjoyed the DIY series on instrument making. Very interesting.

Tom

Stan Smith
05-11-2004, 6:18 PM
Tom, I don't that is twisted at all. That's where we all are most of the time so you are in good company.

After my post, I see that Lie-Nielsen has a smaller block plane but I'm wondering if I want something even smaller. I did find a flat finger plane for $35--not a bad price for a new little plane. The pic looks good anyway. I wasn't aware that LV had those planes so will head there to see more. Thanks.

Stan

David Klug
05-11-2004, 9:06 PM
Stan, I have a little 3" Stanley that I use for easing edges and on small projects. It works very nice for this.

DK

Tom Scott
05-12-2004, 11:22 AM
Stan,
Now if you're just looking for a smallish block plane instead of a micro/luthier plane, then the L-N 102 is excellent! I have the LA version and it is one of my favorite and probably most used planes.

Tom

Stan Smith
05-12-2004, 6:38 PM
Hi Tom

I found this website for Stewart-McDonald. they sell tools and supplies to make stringed musical instruments. I ordered this little flat blade bronze plane. I want to see if it will fit my needs since I really do need something small. I think that I will like the feel of control better than what I'm getting with my 60 1/2.

Stan

Charles Erskine
05-12-2004, 6:45 PM
Stan,

There are some more luthier's planes here:

http://www.stjamesbaytoolco.com/luthier.html

Charley

R. Hock
05-13-2004, 9:15 AM
I found the Stewart-MacDonald site for small planes and thought I would pass it along. The URL is below.:)

Randy

http://www.stewmac.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?action=HOME&LOC=NB

Stan Smith
05-13-2004, 10:44 AM
Wow, Charley! I had no idea that there were so many specialized planes for violin making. Good thing that I had already ordered one from Stewart-MacDonald or I would have spend more $$ for sure. I'll give the little puppy a try. If it doesn't work out, looks like I'll be heading for St.James Bay.I have this little tiny scraper plane, made in England. I was trying to use it yesterday, but the blade was a little dull. It's a little harder to try and sharpen the little blades. Not too sure about the quality of the metal either.

When I see the name, Hock, I sit up and pay attention. I've replaced most of my plane blades with Hock blades which are of much higher quality.

Stan