PDA

View Full Version : Baltic Birch

Doug Bergstrom
09-16-2008, 2:32 PM
Baltic Birch just took a huge price increase in our area this past week jumping from $12 per sheet to $21 per sheet. Anyone else seeing this increase?

Jim Kirkpatrick
09-16-2008, 2:53 PM
Doug, what year you living in? 5' x 5' x 1/2" sheet of BB goes for $50 in my world.

Jim Huston
09-16-2008, 3:43 PM
Not only a price increase - my big box stores have quit stocking any thing in 1/8"!

Joe Pelonio
09-16-2008, 4:31 PM
I have noticed a shortage of thin woods at my local suppliers too, more so the basswood. I have also found some items in other areas that have been discontinued due to slow sales. I think it's a matter of keeping in stock only those items that are profitable which in better times might have been kept as more of a service to the customers.

We need to keep that in mind when quoting, and check both price and supply before giving an amount or we can get burned.

Steve McKee
09-16-2008, 7:17 PM
Speaking of 1/8 inch, I have never been able to find any locally. Where do most people buy theirs?

Bill Cunningham
09-16-2008, 9:12 PM
I've been buying my birch at H.D in 1/4" .. I find that it gives me a better contrast than any 1/8th I've found (must be the glue!) .. I give it a light sanding, a light coat of Lacquer, and another light sanding.. I cut it to size, and quickly sand the edges on a bench belt sander then laser.. On my old tube, (I'm still resetting all my .dat files) I gave it two passes a 600 dpi 100p, One at 35sp (to start the etch, and get through the lacquer) and the second at 25sp.. to burn in the image.. I can now do it all with one pass at 45sp..

Doug Bergstrom
09-17-2008, 10:52 AM
The stuff at the box store isn't baltic birch and tends to laser poorly. We use 1/8th inch baltic for a lot of stuff we make on the laser. Contrast is good and cuts very well. We buy it from hardwood distributors or cabinet makers. Anyone know where you can buy it direct without getting a middle man involved?

Michael Kowalczyk
09-17-2008, 12:26 PM
I have plenty of 3mm (1/8") B/BB Baltic Birch but it is hard to get and getting harder. I offer a box of 25 sheets cut to 11.75"+-x23.75"+- if anyone is interested please PM me. Many members here use us and it is designed to use right out of the box for Laser Buzz products.

Let me know if I can help and ...

Ed Maloney
09-17-2008, 4:03 PM
Hey Mike - Nice to see you are still around. I'll be placing another order pretty soon. For folks that haven't used Mike's Birch it's great material and laser cuts with no problems at all!

Ed

Michael Kowalczyk
09-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Hey Ed,
Nice to see you chime in. Yes I am thankful that "IKE" did not sweep us away so the business is still up and running. We have plenty of 3mm so we are ready for you.

Thanks and ...

Bill Cunningham
09-21-2008, 10:12 PM
The stuff at the box store isn't baltic birch and tends to laser poorly. We use 1/8th inch baltic for a lot of stuff we make on the laser. Contrast is good and cuts very well. We buy it from hardwood distributors or cabinet makers. Anyone know where you can buy it direct without getting a middle man involved?

Must be differences in the birch ply from area to area, because I get excellent, much darker results from the stuff I buy, and does not feel as thin and cheap when you hand it to a customer. The 1/8 tends to be too 'brownish'. But then again, it could be just the 1/8 they distribute in this area..

Mike Null
09-22-2008, 6:50 AM
As mentioned by others, I've had very good results with Michael's birch. I could buy it from the woodworking stores but it's inconvenient and their supply is inconsistent.

James Rambo
09-22-2008, 9:23 AM
http://www.kencraftcompany.com/ply3.htm Try this place. They will cut and ship. I had them cut it to the sizes for Laserbuzz items.

Michael Kowalczyk
09-22-2008, 3:41 PM
http://www.kencraftcompany.com/ply3.htm Try this place. They will cut and ship. I had them cut it to the sizes for Laserbuzz items.
I just called them for a quote of 25 sheets cut to 12 x 24"(nominal) and they only have BB/BB (footballs on both sides) available for 1/8" (3mm) instead of the B/BB we have. Check it out and call them and then PM me.