PDA

View Full Version : Sycamore vs Sweet Gum

Allen Neighbors
09-16-2008, 1:38 PM
Is it normal for some people to mistake Sweet Gum for Sycamore?
Does Sweet Gum grow the little spiney balls like Sycamore?

rob mason
09-16-2008, 2:43 PM
The leaves alone are a dead giveaway: Sycamore leaves are larger - more like hubcap size.

I have also noticed that sweet gum balls are usually dark brown and extremely spiney, whereas the sycamore balls are usually green-ish.

Bill Barou
09-16-2008, 2:48 PM
Sweet Gum and Sycamore have very different fruit. Both are ball-shaped and about the same size but Sweet Gum's are spiney while Sycamore's are not. The bark is also different; sycamore is usually peeling and mottled. Sweet Gum has furrows running vertically. Watch the Sweet Gum in the fall; get red color and the leaves stay on for a long time.

David Epperson
09-16-2008, 3:31 PM
Is it normal for some people to mistake Sweet Gum for Sycamore?
Does Sweet Gum grow the little spiney balls like Sycamore?So basically ,no,it's not really "normal" to get the two confused.

Nathan Hawkes
09-16-2008, 4:15 PM
The leaves alone are a dead giveaway: Sycamore leaves are larger - more like hubcap size.

I have also noticed that sweet gum balls are usually dark brown and extremely spiney, whereas the sycamore balls are usually green-ish.

This is true during most of the growing season, but sycamore seed balls will get a wheat brown color when they "ripen" or dry out, in the fall. They will kind of fall apart similar to how a dandelion puffball does when they are really dry. You might not see this unless you pick them up between your fingers.

James Ashburn
09-16-2008, 5:22 PM
I'm not too far from you being between Denton and Ft. Worth. They are very clearly different here. Bark is completely different and a dead giveaway.

Allen Neighbors
09-16-2008, 7:31 PM
Thanks, everyone. I guess I've been the dummy. I now know that what I have now is not sycamore. Funny that the bark wasn't all that different, but it didn't have the peeling bark that I thought it should.
Thanks for posting. Good forum!

RL Johnson
09-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Sweet Gum is also more of a moderate sized tree and if growing out in the landscape away from other trees it has a christmas tree shape. Sycamores become very tall trees, some reaching up to 100 feet. Step on the balls bare footed, if it hurts like heck, it is sweet gum.:eek: