PDA

View Full Version : Binoculars .... and Cameras

Tom Godley
09-16-2008, 8:11 AM
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with binoculars and comments on current cameras models

From all reports the Nikon 10x42 Monarch ATB's are great all around binoculars but I was wondering if anyone has ever used the Cannon stabilized units. I use these while traveling so size does become an issue. I am not a birder so low light is not an big issue. Also looks like the Bushnell Legend series is also highly rated.

As to a camera -- I will most likely get a Nikon or a Cannon. Having owned both in the past (Nikon last) I find the modern units of both to be about the same quality - but I tend to find the usability of the Cannons more to my liking. I am also looking to get a telephoto lens for the camera so I am not carrying too much equipment. I am not up on the latest models.

I always bring a small "point and shoot" camera with me -- Now using a Nikon -- but actually preferred the way my small Cannon operated.

Jim Becker
09-16-2008, 8:15 AM
Can't help on the binocs....

I'm a Nikon guy, using a D70. (Not one of their best due to some bugs, err...incomplete features...), but the first lower cost one from a few years ago) They have quite a number of choices available right now and just introduced a new one, the D90. I also just acquired, while on vacation, the exquisite AF-S DX VR Zoom Nikkor18-200mm lens (the kit lens was damaged over time from some unfortunate drops) and it's a winner, despite the cost. Same physical length when contracted to 18mm as the kit lens and vibration reduction that really worked...I actually used it on horseback with great results. Cannon also has some great choices, too...

Tom Godley
09-16-2008, 8:31 AM
wow -- that looks like a nice lens.. How long is it? Do you find it heavy?

I did look at the D80 -- do not know about the D90

Eric Larsen
09-16-2008, 9:47 AM
I have the D80. Picture quality is good enough for what I do. I'm sure Canon is of similarly high quality. Ford vs. Chevy, I think.

That being said, Canon lost me FOREVER when they switched lens design for their autofocus cameras. I'm sure a lot of Canon users from the '80s and '90s remember having their lens collection made obsolete in a stroke.

You can't put the oldest Nikkor lenses on the newest Nikon cameras. But most Nikkor lenses fit. And even the oldest ones can be sent in for modification.

Whatever you do, make sure the camera will run on regular batteries. The D80 has a battery pack which allows this, and it has saved many a shot. The ability to buy a pack of AAs at a drugstore when the L-ion battery fails is very high on my list of "must haves" in a camera.

Glenn Clabo
09-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Eric,
Just to set the record straight...the old Canon lenses can be used manually using adapters.

Can you tell I'm a Canon guy?

David DeCristoforo
09-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Nikon has always been the most highly regarded of the Japanese cameras. Cannon has always been a "close second". Nikon has continued to offer top notch cameras as the transition from film to digital imaging has evolved. I have the D80 right now and it is a superb camera. A bit too complex as far as the controls go but it captures excellent images. My wife has a "Coolpix" P5100 (12.1 MP!!!!) "point and shoot" and she gets images that rival those from the D80! The last Cannon I owned was an A1 which was (is actually...I still have it) a great camera.

Kevin Arceneaux
09-16-2008, 10:54 AM
I have the Nikon D40X and am very satisfied with it.

Tom Godley
09-16-2008, 12:07 PM
I did not know that Nikon came out with a new line.

The D90 gets you "live view" -- this is a major upgrade IMO. I am surprised that this has trickled down to this price point.

The D90 and that 18-200 lens looks like it may be a winner -- have to do a little research

Craig D Peltier
09-16-2008, 12:11 PM
Can't help on the binocs....

I'm a Nikon guy, using a D70. (Not one of their best due to some bugs, err...incomplete features...), but the first lower cost one from a few years ago) They have quite a number of choices available right now and just introduced a new one, the D90. I also just acquired, while on vacation, the exquisite AF-S DX VR Zoom Nikkor18-200mm lens (the kit lens was damaged over time from some unfortunate drops) and it's a winner, despite the cost. Same physical length when contracted to 18mm as the kit lens and vibration reduction that really worked...I actually used it on horseback with great results. Cannon also has some great choices, too...

I think you forgot to give the cowboy back his hat after riding his horse.

Lee Schierer
09-16-2008, 12:29 PM
I have a pair of 8 X 40 Nikon Action Binocs and they are great. I wear eyeglasses and the large eye lens means that I can keep my glasses in place and still get a full field of view through the binocs. The eyecups will rotate up so that non-spectacled people can also use them.

Mike DeHart
09-16-2008, 1:30 PM
The price on the d80 dropped about $200 to $599 when the d90 came out. Might be worth a look.

Mike

Colin Giersberg
09-16-2008, 9:40 PM
I have the Nikon D300, and if the Live View is anything like mine, it takes too long. It is much simpler to go ahead and take the shot, then push the recall button on the back and look at the results. I am very impressed with Nikon, and my older brother has been using Nikon for years. For a peak of his work, go to www.hgiersberg.com (http://www.hgiersberg.com).

Bear in mind, photography is his hobby, he works for Boeing in St. Louis as an electrical engineer.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

Regards, Colin

David G Baker
09-16-2008, 11:57 PM
Colin,
Your brother is an awesome photographer.

Kevin Arceneaux
09-17-2008, 12:53 AM
This is a really great site for information. Very neutral and a huge help for me. The Nikon is a monster step up from my old (1981) Pentax K100

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm

Tom Godley
09-17-2008, 4:48 AM
Great site Kevin - thanks

Colin Giersberg
09-17-2008, 6:50 PM
Thanks, I'm sure he would like to hear that. He is currently updating his website, so his best pictures are not on it right now, and he is rather slow about the updates. He says the fun part is taking the pictures, but the processing of them is boring.
He went to Argentina this past February to learn from Thom Hogan (one of Nikon's photographers) for a couple of weeks. He is going back in December to freelance. He wants to spend more time in one location so he can capture the mood of the scene better. Personally, I think he captures the mood perfectly.
His current camera is the Nikon D3, but he has had several of their top of the line cameras for several years. Dang it, I sure wish my salary was as good as his, because there sure is a lot of gear that I would like. The only other option is giving up all of my other hobbies, of which there are around a dozen total, so that I can afford what I want. maybe if I win the lottery. Oh well, like anything, it takes time.

Regards, Colin