PDA

View Full Version : Drawer bottom thickness

Mike Hoyt
09-16-2008, 7:46 AM
Morning guys, Im about to start the next project which happens to be a dresser for the wife. My prelim design has the drawers about 28 inches wide by 16 deep, so my question is what thickness material would you use? Also what type of material, BB, melamine? Thanks for you time and input
Mike

rob mason
09-16-2008, 8:42 AM
I built a chest of 3 drawers for my son. Knowing that he would be cramming clothes into the drawers, I went with 1/2" birch ply for the sides and bottom. I made the dados 1/4" deep. The drawers themselves were mounted on heavy-duty, full-extension draw slides.

If you dont anticipate a large amount of weight, you might get by with 1/4" ply for the bottom, but it might sag over time if there are a lot of clothes.

Jim Becker
09-16-2008, 9:01 AM
For a larger drawer like that, I'd probably opt for 3/8" bottoms or even 1/2" if it's for "heavy" clothing storage.

Rob Cunningham
09-16-2008, 9:57 AM
I'd go with 1/2" BB plywood. I know how many clothes my wife jams into the drawers of her dresser :)

Scott Wigginton
09-16-2008, 10:54 AM
The real question on weight is how tall are these drawers and will they ever be used for non-clothing? (not an ideal place to hide your coin collection but you never know! :D)

I'd say 1/2 is as thick as you'll ever need and can probably get away with 3/8. If they're all kind of short (4") you can even use 1/4 but I'd put a support in the middle (this can even be your sliding mechanism)

Mike Hoyt
09-16-2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks guys thats what I was thinking too, as these will be about 8 inches deep. It sounds like 1/2" is the way to go! I only want to build these once so I am sure its better to play it safe.
Thanks
Mike

Lee Schierer
09-16-2008, 12:34 PM
You can easily use 1/4" ply for the bottoms. If you confine it on all four sides you won't be able to stuff enough clothes into the drawer to even sag the bottom. If the drawer will hold your entire coin collection then you may need to think about going with thicker stock. 3/8 would be better, but 1/2" is overkill! I have drawers that large in my dresser which is close to 20 years old and some of the drawers are stuffed to overflowing and there is no sag in the drawer bottoms!

Joe Scharle
09-16-2008, 12:39 PM
For wide drawers, I place a runner in the middle which slides on the center rail of the dust shirt. 3/8 ply.
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/632/thumbs/Child_s_Dresser_005.jpg (http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=6470)

John Keeton
09-16-2008, 5:50 PM
I don't think the width matters so much in this instance. In fact, I think it adds stability. The depth of 16" is the key and I really can't see much chance of sag in that depth unless the weight is considerable. Certainly, clothing would never have that kind of psi weight. I have used 1/4" in much larger drawers and have never had an issue. Just my 2 pennies worth.

Brian Clevenger
09-16-2008, 6:07 PM
I used 3/8" ply for the bottoms of my tool drawers. They are 24"x24". At least a couple of those drawers have been holding 50lbs for years. No sag yet.

Chris Padilla
09-16-2008, 6:20 PM
Melamine coated bottoms should be considered: very smooth (but clothes can slide around so that could be bad but no potential snagging on wood), easy to clean, usually white which can help with seeing what's in the drawer.

Anthony Anderson
09-16-2008, 6:21 PM
I agree with 1/4" will be plenty strong enough when you glue everything up. I have used 1/4" ply for drawer bottoms with no problems at all. You could use 1/4" BB which will be somewhat stronger than standard 1/4 birch. 3/8" you could stand in, if you had everything glued up, and the dresser anchored into the wall, with appropriate load slides. 1/2" birch, and especially 1/2" BB, is way overkill, This will just add extra weight to the project, with no real added benefit. Just my thoughts. But my wife says those are not worth much:confused:. Good Luck, Bill

Peter Quinn
09-16-2008, 7:18 PM
Have you considered 3/4" solid wood? Shaker style, like a raised panel with the panel profile facing down? Or even as thin as 3/8" with a deep cove on the edges to make the 1/4" tongue? I find solid wood bottoms add a weight to drawer that is hard to match with sheet goods. A great drawer in a fine piece of furniture is like an elegant signature. You may be the only one that even knows its there, but to me that is enough.

You can "get away" with a 1/4" plywood bottom, maybe a little bracing, but it is my opinion that that sort of thing is best reserved for the lowest grade of work. If you are looking for the least you can do, then 1/4" ply would be the thing. If you use a solid wood bottom, be sure to use very stable wood and let it float, secure it only at the back.

Jude Tuliszewski
09-16-2008, 8:41 PM
I would go with ½ , is it over kill, yes, but you will never have to worry about it, and it will make it feel more substantial.

Joe Vincent
09-16-2008, 11:08 PM
For wide drawers, I place a runner in the middle which slides on the center rail of the dust shirt. 3/8 ply.
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/632/thumbs/Child_s_Dresser_005.jpg (http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=6470)

Joe: How do you attach the center runner to the drawer? Thanks

Steve Nouis
09-17-2008, 6:09 AM
As mentioned your only spanning 16" just make sure to run the grain that way. Steve

Joe Scharle
09-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Joe: How do you attach the center runner to the drawer? Thanks

Short M&Ts, glued to the front & back. Last few years I've been using loose tenons where I can.
The bottoms are spot glued at 2 points, on the center rail and the sides, to prevent rattle. I could have glued the whole thing since it's ply, but it's not usually necessary.