PDA

View Full Version : Engraving on a Poker Chip Box

Tracey Bakewell
09-16-2008, 12:56 AM
Hello All!

I need to try and engrave on a poker chip box. I'm not sure what it's make up is though. It seems like it's some kind of aluminum, not really stainless steel though. It looks like one of your typical hard case camera cases as well. The surface is rigid. Has anone engraved on these types of cases? What have you creatively come up with??? I'm thinking a small thin piece of stainless steel and using double-sided tape to put on the box? Or mabe engrave on the edge of the box where it's flat?

Just looking for ideas?

Thanks!
Tracey

Scott Challoner
09-16-2008, 9:58 AM
When you say ridgid, do you mean ridged? Like it has ridges right?
As I'm sitting here looking at mine, I just realized only the frame is aluminum. The top and bottom are actually grey ridged plastic that looks like aluminum. The ridges are only .015" deep so you wouldn't be far out of focus if you engraved directly on it. I scratched the surface and it's a pretty light color underneath, but it might give you enough contrast for a mark. Once I've finished my coffee and my reading here at the Creek, I'll fire up the laser and do a test. In the meantime, try to figure out if your's is actually aluminum or plastic.

Tracey Bakewell
09-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Hi Scott,

Yes, exactly! I thought that too when I was tapping on it. I even felt like it was plastic. Wow, if you wouldn't mind lasering and seeing what yours comes out like that would be great! This is a wedding gift so I'm really worried about it not looking elegant. Anyway, whatever info. you can provide would be great!

Thanks!
Tracey

Scott Challoner
09-16-2008, 12:55 PM
I ended up using 500dpi 100% speed and 30% power although I think I should have gone down to 20% power. I also changed all the black to 80%.

It turned out pretty good. It looks different depending on the angle you see it at.

Todd Jones
09-16-2008, 2:58 PM
I know this might not be what you are looking for and the box is different but here is one we have done with rowmark that really looks nice

Frank Corker
09-16-2008, 7:08 PM
Scott the job turned out well. Worth the effort. Todd, love the box, looks brilliant, very clear.

Tracey Bakewell
09-16-2008, 10:34 PM
Hey Scott, that's exactly the box I have! Thank you so much for taking that on! I will show that to my client as one of the options. Thank you again!

Tracey Bakewell
09-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Hey Todd, that looksk good to... Maybe I should give that as an option to them as well!

Todd Jones
09-17-2008, 4:16 PM
when I did this set I also made dealer button and a duplicate wall sign for the persons poker room

Tracey Bakewell
10-07-2008, 5:48 PM
Update!

I just ran a test on a friends box. This one is more dotted all over than lined. I ran similar settings as mentioned above, but then actually ran things a bit hotter. The dots actually just melted right down! So, it gave a little better image than the one I have to do. I am having the customer come in and look at this one in person to make sure they understand results aren't guaranteed as we have no idea what is underneath the surface of this particular plastic.

I'll probably run the first pass on the real job very conservative, then possibly increase a little and run again. I will have photos and settings at the end of all this I promise!